• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What's the key to writing a book

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaesterAuron151

What's the key to writing a book

Unread post

I've tried a couple times to write a full book, but I'm never sucessfull. I get to about twenty pages then I start running into mental blocks. Plus what I write doesn't really convey the idea I have. I can make a synopsis of a full story but I can't connect the sections into a readable peice of literature.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: What's the key to writing a book

Unread post

My husband is, right now, working on his second 3-day novel, for the 3-Day Novel Writing contest. Two years ago he sat down and wrote a book, this year, he's at it again. This year's is, I believe, a stronger story, but I'm a little doubtful he'll finish it to his satisfaction (I think it's bigger than a 72 hour novel...). The point, I believe, to the contest, is trial-by-deadline. Get in there, do it, writers' block be damned.Yes, this contest has created a new genre -- a three-day novel reads differently than a 'regular' novel, it's more breakneck, a little more wild? The organizers know this, and can recognize a novel that was partially pre-written (the contest is run on the honour system)...but just finishing the contest is a victory. Two years ago, before the contest, my man would introduce himself as "a trucker, who had been trained in professional writing & editing". The day after the contest, we went to a party -- he was tired, exhausted from writing, but I overheard him tell someone: "Oh, I'm a writer."In my mind, he won. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

LoriIs this writing contest a part of a web site? I've heard of such things and I'd enjoy participating. Obviously, you're really competing against yourself as you try to learn to set a goal and work diligently towards attaining that goal.Come to think of it I'll run a search on Google and see what I can find. There are probably several novel writing sites and a little research is a good start.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

MaesterAuron151 I should have responded to your question too. Listen to Lori as she might be on to something. Why don't you give her idea a shot? And don't forget that you're only 16 years old. How many people have written a real book at 16 years old? I applaud your enthusiasm and initiative, but be careful you don't ask too much of yourself too early, or else you may have to deal with complete frustration - eventually you might just quit. I can't think of a better way to prepare you for writing a book then to do one of those novel projects Lori mentions. It forces you through the tough sticking points by reminding you that the most important goal is to just finish, and not to write a publishable masterpiece. Do one or two of those novels and you might find writing your real book that much easier.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

MaesterAuron151 Maybe this is the same contest Lori's husband is doing.www.3daynovel.com/I think I want to try this next year!
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Yup, that's it. It is an amazing thing. Of course, you have to be of a writerly bent...after that, you'll write your book or you won't, either way you'll know!My man is now into his last 4 hours and 15 minutes, and what he's written so far is solid. I'm very proud of him. Will he win? Who knows. The judging is a group of people sitting around reading, so who knows what will strike their fancy. But if the rest of the story is as strong as what I've read so far, I will personally shop it around to publishers.So MaesterAuron, try it for next year. If you can't wait that long, there's also a book-in-a-month contest (November, I think). Ah ha! Here it is: National Novel Writing Month: www.nanowrimo.org/ (Chris, I thought I'd put the link in for the 3-day novel writing contest, but the 'link' link ain't working for me...oh well!) "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Are there any of these 72-hour novels online for free? I'd like to read a few.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

No, not the ones that one the big prize (publication!)...there may be people who've put their own attempts online, but many of them are probably holding on to them for the day they edit and submit them around (I know my hubby is...) "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I see where you can purchase the winning novels. I'd like to find some good ones to read for free. There have to be plenty of people that have made their novels available for free online. I'll let you know if I find any.
Wishwas

Unread post

MaesterAuron151Here is an interesting site giving advice on how to write a Novel in 100 days. www.peacecorpswriters.org...100da.html

Return to “Everything Else”