• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What's really going on in current affairs?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Abs7

What's really going on in current affairs?

Unread post

I'm a college student with very little time and now that I've finish my exams SUCCESSFULLY-- I have some time. I want to learn more about current affairs. I watch the news or read newspapers when I have time but I still don't know what's happening. A topic that especially interests me is the Middle East. What's going on? Why? What can I expect to happen in the future? I don't want this topic to be specifically for my problem but for anyone else who wants to learn but is simply so clueless they need someone to point them in the right direction.Here are a few questions that I think will be helpful to a lot of people:What news resources do you find to be the most unbiased? Knowing the history behind the problems helps us better understand the present and where the future is going. For topic A (E.g. Middle East, Health Care, Social Security, etc), can you recommend some helpful sources on the history?After reading the history and the news we may be able to form our own opinions but we need to subject our opinions to criticism. Do you know of any persuasive media on a topic?I realize that we all do not have a lot of time, so I don't want to sound like, "Do all the work for me!" I believe that we can save each other time by helping on another. Thanks.
minority mandate

Re: What's really going on in current affairs?

Unread post

I can only tell you what I read. I am a registered Republican, who considers himself more of a Libertarian, but since the Clinton impeachment I have been siding with the liberal camp, perhaps because they are so weak that they have made few mistakes.Harper's Magazine - left leaning, but well written and researched articles.New York Review of Books - if you don't have time to read all the current books, and who does, these reviewers usually give a good, in depth review, sometimes of several similar books on a subject, often on the Middle-EastJournal of Foreign Affairs - as solid and non-partisan as one can expect in life, written by diplomatic types, often conservatives.Thomas Friedman's syndicated columns - an experienced mid-east and international reporter for many years.The New Yorker, Newsweek and Time all have excellent correspondents, as do the NYT and Washington Post.Al-Jezerra in English will tell you what is happening on the ground and how the locals feel about it. They are, from the US perspective, a disgustingly free press based in Gutar, one of our strongest allies in the Gulf, but beholding to no one.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Massive Poster
United States of America

Current History

Unread post

Kudos on your curiosity - I agree with the above sources, but background info on contemporary history requires more than internet articles. Suggest reading a few books such as Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq by Michael Gordon and General Bernard Trainor. Another excellent source is The One Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind which outlines the very dangerous decision making processes in the Bush administration. Edited by: LanDroid at: 12/17/06 12:23 am
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Re: What's really going on in current affairs?

Unread post

I find the Asia Times Online website to be an interesting source of information on the Middle East and the Far East.www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page.html
Abs7

Unread post

Wow, thanks guys. I've already checked out a few of the sources you gave me. I really found the Asia Times to be interesting because it gives me an outsiders look at American affairs.

Return to “Current Events & History”