Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 3:22 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?
Here are a few books I'm suggesting. Please add your own suggestions and maybe some feedback on the books you see suggested by me and other members.

Letters to a Young Scientist
by Edward O. Wilson

This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works
by John Brockman

Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
by Barbara Forrest, Paul R. Gross

Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism
by Richard Carrier

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
by Richard Dawkins

Why Evolution Is True
by Jerry A. Coyne

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?
Well, I've crashed and burned at choosing books and being discussion leader, but let me throw in my two cents so far and try to think of any other suggestions later.

I've read Dawkins and Coyne, both good books, I'm not sure how much discussion it will create as obviously they are not meant to be controversial except to a creationist. I'd probably re-read if other people were interested.

I've skimmed some of Brockman's books -- they sound interesting, but I don't know why he has such short essays, many are just 1-2 pages. It almost becomes just a list of encyclopedia entries, might be something you can dip into to get ideas for further reading but I didn't really care for the format.

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:16 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I vote for Richard Carrier's book - Sense and Goodness without God. I would like to hear his compatibilist explanation of free will.

The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Interbane wrote:
I vote for Richard Carrier's book - Sense and Goodness without God. I would like to hear his compatibilist explanation of free will.

For $3 on Kindle, I picked up a copy. Got to love some of those ebook prices.

His free will argument will likely give me something to disagree with.

I posted this before, but here's Daniel Dennett arguing for compatibilism against Sam Harris. It's long, and Harris has a reply. It's interesting that he is so confident that Harris has made mistake after mistake, as Dennett is of course a very smart guy. Still, I didn't find him very convincing, seems to me it mostly comes down to changing the definition of "free will" so that we have it.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/refl ... -free-will

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread.

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks for replying and sharing your views guys. This thread isn't meant to be an actual poll but we could ultimately pick one of these books as our next non-fiction discussion book. I was just trying to get the process started for finding our next non-fiction book.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Chris OConnor wrote:
Here are a few books I'm suggesting. Please add your own suggestions and maybe some feedback on the books you see suggested by me and other members.

Letters to a Young Scientist
by Edward O. Wilson

This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works
by John Brockman

Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
by Barbara Forrest, Paul R. Gross

Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism
by Richard Carrier

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
by Richard Dawkins

Why Evolution Is True
by Jerry A. Coyne

Of course, Chris, you know my vote is for "The Assassination of Michael Collins: What Happened at Béal na mBláth?"
(Hope this mention is allowed here... Remind me if I make any "faut pas".)

But seriously, this is not entirely without regard to the list you propose above, around themes of evolution. I'm fascinated by evolution myself. And it's not only because I'm, as you know, the author, that I truly feel deeply that people need to hear this story.

In the book, I've tried to confront assassination from a criminology point of view, as a social problem: why do we continually lose our best & brightest leaders to this syndrome?

Just a thought.

All the best

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

I particularly like Edward Wilson, but I am not sure this is his best one compared to The Social Conquest of the Earth, SuperOrganisms, and his ant novel.

I have had some conversation with Richard Carrier following the publication of his latest book On The Historicity of Jesus, which looks excellent, and which I have bought. His use of probability to show that the Bible texts are more like what we would expect if Jesus did not exist than what we would expect if Jesus did exist is an important piece of logic. I vote for Carrier. I will get the Kindle version. Cost me $9.67.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Robert Tulip wrote:
I will get the Kindle version. Cost me $9.67.

I'm still seeing $3 on Kindle, must be Amazon's variable pricing.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:19 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Since we're not getting much activity in this thread you guys just want to go with the Richard Carrier book?

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
ilovetoread, Rich528
Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Hello, Everybody!

I am a new member on this forum and I am a book publisher. I got 3 very good books to suggest to you. I have published them and have read and re-read them many many times, during the last 28 years.

These are life-changing masterpieces:
- Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill
- The Secret of the Ages, by Robert Collier
- As a Man Thinketh, by James Allen

If it is not against the rules of this forum, I will give a special discount to all members who want to buy any inspirational book from me. The 12 books I have published can be seen at www.everinc.com

Richard

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Well, i love books about the brain. Can we read a book on the brain?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Chris OConnor wrote:
Since we're not getting much activity in this thread you guys just want to go with the Richard Carrier book?

I'll try to give it a read if other people are interested.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:

Chris
I will volunteer to lead a discussion on Sense and Goodness Without God by Richard Carrier.
I have the book on kindle and have looked at the Table of Contents. I will try to make a new post every day on each subsection in turn, although there are by my count 202 subsections in more than a dozen sections, making this book a rather massive existential exercise in systematic logic, addressing its subtitle of A Defence of Metaphysical Naturalism.

I also have Carrier's latest book, released to some acclaim in mythicist circles, On the Historicity of Jesus.

If you choose Sense and Goodness Without God as the booktalk selection you can let Dr Carrier know, as he would be likely at least to monitor the discussion. His blog is http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:29 am
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Mrs. Poe!! :)

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Who is Mrs. Poe?

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:41 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next