Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 4:19 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What NON-FICTION book should we discuss in October, November and December? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

What NON-FICTION book should we discuss in October, November and December?
Let's have a casual yet quick discussion where we work towards picking our next Non-Fiction book for group discussion. The key to this process is to not make hit-and-run suggestions. Make a suggestion and then read everyone else's suggestions. Comment on the books people are suggesting. Would you read/discuss them or not? If we can pick a book in the next week without having to do a poll that would be ideal. But to be able to bypass a poll we need feedback on the suggestions - not just suggestions.

The next Non-Fiction book discussion will stretch from October through December.

Please only make book suggestions if you're planning to participate in the next Non-Fiction book discussion. if you're an author this is NOT the thread to suggest your own book unless you plan to participate in the discussion in the event your book wins. If you're an author and want to suggest your book but do not plan to participate in a group discussion then please create a brand new thread and share your book there. This thread is for active BookTalk.org members that are planning to join us for a group book discussion.

So what would you like to discuss starting October, 2013?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: What NON-FICTION book should we discuss in October, November and December?
Here's a suggestion quite different from our usual non-fiction choices.

The Consolations of the Forest: Alone in a Cabin on the Siberian Taiga

Book Description
Quote:
A meditation on escaping the chaos of modern life and rediscovering the luxury of solitude. Winner of the Prix Médicis for nonfiction, The Consolations of the Forest is a Thoreau-esque quest to find solace, taken to the extreme. No stranger to inhospitable places, Sylvain Tesson exiles himself to a wooden cabin on Siberia’s Lake Baikal, a full day’s hike from any "neighbor," with his thoughts, his books, a couple of dogs, and many bottles of vodka for company. Writing from February to July, he shares his deep appreciation for the harsh but beautiful land, the resilient men and women who populate it, and the bizarre and tragic history that has given Siberia an almost mythological place in the imagination. Rich with observation, introspection, and the good humor necessary to laugh at his own folly, Tesson’s memoir is about the ultimate freedom of owning your own time. Only in the hands of a gifted storyteller can an experiment in isolation become an exceptional adventure accessible to all. By recording his impressions in the face of silence, his struggles in a hostile environment, his hopes, doubts, and moments of pure joy in communion with nature, Tesson makes a decidedly out-of-the-ordinary experience relatable. The awe and joy are contagious, and one comes away with the comforting knowledge that "as long as there is a cabin deep in the woods, nothing is completely lost."

Book Review
Quote:
Picked up this title after a glowing review in The Economist's fiction section - incredibly engaging memoirs of the author's time as a hermit in the middle of nowhere. Never had I been inspired more to live the life of a hermit and observe the beautiful details of life that we often miss in our busy lives.

The author has a peculiar eye for detail, and I found myself wanting to know more about the environment around him - in fact, my next step is to read through his Epicurean reading list that he took along with him for his isolated read. Couldn't help but think that maybe it would have been more practical to just take a Kindle along with his library on it... however I'm sure he'd be disgusted to read that.

One of the best books of the year for me.

Book Review
Quote:
The Consolations of the Forest by Sylvain Tesson is a memoir in the form of a diary about half a year in an isolated cabin on the shores of Lake Baikal in Siberia. The cabin is a day or more away from any neighbor and Sylvain's visitors are few and seldom. He brings fairly spartan supplies for his stay; a lot of books, vodka and cigars. He supplements his food with fish he catches in the lake and the streams nearby. Not quite a hermit, he is nevertheless isolated from current events and regular social interaction. Most days are spent doing chores, reading, hiking and journaling. There are occasional visitors and he sometimes visits his neighbors at least a day away on foot or by kayak. During the latter part of his stay he has two puppies for companions. His life takes on the rhythm and character of his Siberian neighbors.

This wonderful book offers a window into the author's rich inner life and the virtues of solitude and self-reliance. We hear his romanticized view of the life and history of his Siberian neighbors. The lake and its surround, along with the seasons and the weather, are important characters. The writing is spare, beautiful, introspective and idiosyncratic.

"In the depths of the taiga, I changed myself completely. Staying put brought me what I could no longer find on any journey. The genius loci helped me tame time. My hermitage became the laboratory of these transformations."

Attachments:
51OD+-bzyfL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg
51OD+-bzyfL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg [ 22.09 KiB | Viewed 4315 times ]

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

Post Re: What NON-FICTION book should we discuss in October, November and December?
I was taken by this so have it on request at the library. I took a semester of Mindfullness Meditation and am interested to find out if the author used meditation.

The following user would like to thank DaveJeb for this post:
Chris OConnor
Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:41 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

We need some suggestions!

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

ok, ok, i'll send a few in tonight :) but still plan on reading Consolations when it comes in!

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

That sounds good, Chris. And it's available on Kindle, too

The following user would like to thank heledd for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

Well it looked too good to miss and have downloaded it. The wonders of technology!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:03 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I don't know if I am posting this right. I am new. How about The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance. I heard the author in NPR and the book sounded like a new and modern slant into this topic.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I don´t know either if i´m posting right. I just joined the club. I liked the idea of the "The Sports Gene". I´ve read something on Amazon and it sounded great.
Also have a suggestion: "What Are You Looking At?: The Surprising, Shocking, and Sometimes Strange Story of 150 Years of Modern Art" (Will Gompertz).

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Consolation looks a good read . Will go for it.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

To those of you that are brand new to BookTalk.org please join into some discussions on the forums. Our fear is that new members, such as yourselves, will get involved in the book selection process and then not participate in the actual book discussion. You dramatically increase the odds we will include your opinion in the book selection process by starting to participate elsewhere on the forums. Usually, people will make a book suggestion and then never again post on BookTalk.org. Knowing this we don't place much weight on the suggestions of people that are brand new and/or have only a small number of total forum posts.

And every book suggestion needs to include a link to the book, the title, author name and a brief description.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Consolations looks fantastic.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

The Kennedy Half-Dollar, I'm partial.

The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Here are my suggestions based on some of the books I have read in the last six months.

My number one suggestion is

Logicomix: An Epic Search for the Truth

In spite of its graphic novel format it is a serious work and I think it would promote discussion.

QED by Richard Feynman

A really interesting book but would be a challenge to discuss.

One of my favorites
Against Methid

The Strangest Man

Whistler

where n are natural numbers.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:00 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

One more, a novelty suggestion.

The Kentucky Lion by Richard Kiel

Yes, it was 'written' by Jaws from James Bond. I featured him in The Atheist Turtle Blog awhile back and we emailed back and forth a bit. A really nice guy.

where n are natural numbers.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next