• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What makes a book good to read ?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
rodmathew50
Official Newbie!

What makes a book good to read ?

Unread post

i always think of this when i read a book, and sometimes after reading a book I totally feel myself deep into the book, and sad.
What are the key element to attract to write a good book,cover and other stuff that make it a fun and enjoy to read..

What is your point in this one..
gesler0811
Experienced

Re: What makes a book good to read ?

Unread post

The most important thing is that people enjoy reading it. Maybe that sounds like a cop-out, but it's true. You need a good story, one that will make somebody feel that it is worth their time to keep turning pages.

Different stories accomplish this in different ways, so there is no one set formula. One of the most important things that most good stories have in common though, is a compelling protagonist, relatable in some way to the reader, who wants or needs to accomplish something, and must overcome obstacles to get it. But don't all stories have that? More or less, yes. But are all stories good? Nope. And therein lies the great irony of it... it's not like following a recipe... making sure you use all the right ingredients, and voila!!! Not at all like that.

You need the right ingredients, but you need to be able to communicate it well, in an interesting story.
Voodoo, zombies, artifacts, and magic: Urban fantasy with a New Orleans Flair
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

It's like watching ten minutes of a movie. You either know or you don't. At least that's how I interpret it. What makes a good book for me is if the story pulls me in and gets me out of the sleepy stage. I like details, but only when they have a beat. Too much, and I'm snoring. I've found books in dollar bins that were more entertaining than what was on the bestsellers list, thus proving that marketing has a lot to do with what we think we should read. LOL!
Daddyd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I enjoy books that suck you in. The characters are fully developed, and you feel as if you’re seeing the story. Not a lot of authors can do that. Some drag on and on like King does while others bring pages to life as Rowling did. Yet, I know it’s all personal preference. If I cannot fell a story in the first 25 pages, I ditch the book. To me, it says a lot. I think it is best to ask many different types of age groups, genders, and education levels to begin understanding what you need to create a good book to read.
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

As a reader- I agree, it's all about what the book makes me feel. I need to either connect with a character on some level or feel some sort of emotion. It doesn't matter if that emotion is laughter or tears or curiousity.. as long as I feel something. Otherwise, there is no reason to turn the next page.

As a writer- They say we should write books that cater to the readers wants and needs, toward a targeted audience. I can't do that. I've tried. Only thing I can do is to share the story in my head and try to get it in front of the right market that would enjoy it.
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
lovemybull
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

That's a hard question to answer except to say personally the three possible signs of a good book for me are either:
A Something so dramatic and well crafted that it pulls you in from page one-I'm thinking "The Oath" or "All Over But the Shoutin", both take you right into the story.

B Something like Dave Barry or David Sedaris that can make you laugh out loud despite yourself.

C The kind of book that paragraphs of it will come back to you many years later and you will continue to reread it many years later. Maya Angelou, Richard Wright, James Baldwin all fit in here.
L' Chaim!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

There are usually three different things that pull me along. One alone, if excellent on its own, may be enough. All three together are best, of course.

Characters who make me wonder, "what are they going to do next." Or, wondering what happens when these two characters meet. Like Tyrion Lannister

A strong crucible. Some books, like The Warded Man, you can tell from before you buy the book the crucible will be great. Or Lord of the Rings, where the ring must be destroyed. You want to make it to the end to see how the whole enterprise is resolved.

Good suspense. From one chapter to the next, you're left wondering how the small issues get resolved, and what's going to happen next. This needs neither good characters nor a strong crucible, but is better when combined with both.

A fourth that isn't necessary, but can sometimes hold me to an otherwise boring plot, is exceptional prose. A wordsmith who offers great metaphor and never a hiccup.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Author's Lounge”