Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What is your favourite TV-show? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Post Re: What is your favourite TV-show?
DWill wrote:
I never watched "Morse," but wish I had. The relationship between Lewis and his partner (whose name escapes me) was what drew me into the "Lewis" series. My wife and I joked that Oxford must be the murder capital of the world. We have many crime investigation shows on TV, of course, like the CIS shows, but I've never watched any of them. The ads make them appear quite sensationalized, whereas the British shows do keep in mind that murders are human tragedies. Did you watch "Prime Suspect"? That's probably my favorite of all the cop shows.

I thought his name's Hathaway, isn't it?
Some American shows are also revolving around human tragedies: I think "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is very good, especially as the main detective (Robert Goren- Vincent D'Onofrio) has some issues himself (Goren was based on Sherlock Holmes). Other shows are quite sensationalised, yes - "Cold Case" is perhaps the worst.
I've never watched "Prime Suspect", unfortunately, we're limited to all the other crime shows, and when I say all, I mean all - they broadcast "CSI", "The Closer", "Missing" and "Without a Trace", the "Law&Orders", "Morse" sometimes, "Taggart", "Dalziel & Pascoe", "Lewis" from time to time, "Bones" etc. :lol:
And we have 13rd Street- a channel devoted to crime series, which adds "Dexter", "Monk", "Poirot" and some others...

"And without joy life doesn't deserve life's name"
- Desiderius Erasmus

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:52 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist

I like two old shows: Combat and The Fugitive. Both show have traditional heroes I can root for, something I rarely see today. Also, both shows are built on character development.

What's especially interesting about Combat is that the formula changes week after week, so I never get tired of the episodes.

(The formula for The Fugitive also changes somewhat.)

I also like the first four seasons of Lost. The characters are compelling and sympathetic.

And recently I've been enjoying the British mystery series, Foyle's War.

The simple truth is I'm so disilllusioned with literary fiction and vulgar, violent movies with unlikeable characters, that've I've turned to classic television.

As for The Sopranos:IMHO, I can't root or care for a bunch of criminals. I had a similiar problem with The Tudors. I found Henry the Eighth despicable.

That's my two-cents.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I have to confess, I love "The Family Guy".

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:34 pm
Almost Comfortable

Most of my faves are gone now: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek TNG-Enterprise-Voyager, X-Files. Yes I like my sci-fi. I also quite like Lost, Fringe, FlashForward, and V.
Guilty pleasures are House and The Mentalist, because I love Hugh Laurie and think Simon Baker is great.
I used to enjoy Grey's Anatomy, but it's gotten really lame.
I don't care for most reality shows, I get enough of that in life, but I do like Survivor.
Also, I would just like to add: Ain't no party like my nana's tea party!! :D

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 am
Profile Email
Upwardly Mobile

ErnieBerla wrote:
Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis

YES! I love Stargate and forgot to mention it, was a fantastic show.

Lottebeertje, here is Flight of the Concords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ozSSseCh3U

"Someday, on your tombstone, there will be two dates - and nobody realizes that all that mattered to you was that small dash in between"

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

The following user would like to thank Jlane5516 for this post:
lottebeertje
Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 am
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

Here is why you should all be watching The Venture Brothers on Cartoon Network's "Adult swim" programming block.

An old-school johnny quest style family with a pedigree of super-science, CIA bodyguards and costumed nemesis go on adventures in todays world.

Henchmen 21 and 24 in service to the mighty Monarch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQM53TSliM

The Venture Family's bodyguard and "Swedish murder machine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIsL2LdsAo

If you haven't fallen in love with that throw-back music, Brock's sweet Mullet, and the geek-sheik of the henchmen, then turn back now.

If you love these things, as i do, then you must seek out and purchase the Venture Brothers on DVD at once.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:59 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Oh geee, i like a lot of different shows by my favorite genre is sci-fi and anything supernatural. Right now I'm engrossed in:

Heroes, Stargate Universe, Sanctuary, V, Grey's Anatomy {haven't been watching the current season, it seems sucky.}, And Bones.

I really love the mentalist, the only thing is i've only seen the first ep. I've always missed it so, it's a series I totally need to rent and devour. muhahaha.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm
Profile Email WWW
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

I really hate to admit it for fear of seeming backward, but I really enjoy the old black and white re-runs of "The Avengers". Ah, innocence!

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

I agree, that HBO puts out some great shows, has anyone seen Rome? I really liked that one. Of past shows, yes, I'll admit that I love "Friends." :) Other shows that I like are Saving Grace, Sons of Anarchy, Frasier, Bones, Wipeout (it's silly, but I love it), and Band of Brothers. I include the last because it wasn't a movie, but miniseries and I really liked it. That's just the short list, I'm sure I'll think of something after I submit these answers. :)

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:52 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

Current favs: CSI, Criminal Minds, The Closer, Friday Night Lights, The Daily Show, The Tudors, Law & Order SVU, Law & Order

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:38 am
Profile Email
Gaining experience

As an old fogy, my favorites are:
The Office
Daily Show
Seinfeld reruns
Mad Men (on DVD---don't get HBO)
Guilty pleasure: Dr, Phil

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:44 am
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

leah_girl wrote:
I agree, that HBO puts out some great shows, has anyone seen Rome? I really liked that one. Of past shows, yes, I'll admit that I love "Friends." :) Other shows that I like are Saving Grace, Sons of Anarchy, Frasier, Bones, Wipeout (it's silly, but I love it), and Band of Brothers. I include the last because it wasn't a movie, but miniseries and I really liked it. That's just the short list, I'm sure I'll think of something after I submit these answers. :)

Your a fan of Rome, too? I thought that was a fabulous show. I don't understand though why they only did two seasons.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

oblivion wrote:
I really hate to admit it for fear of seeming backward, but I really enjoy the old black and white re-runs of "The Avengers". Ah, innocence!

I LOVE "The Avengers"!! I wanted to be Emma Peel, and marry John Steed when I was a little girl.

My favorite TV shows would be some old ones like The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Dick Van Dyke, The Outer Limits, Murphy Brown, Star Trek TNG and Voyager. Some funky like Quantum Leap, Pushing Daisies. Good Sci Fi like SGs.

Newer ones would be House, Criminal Minds, Fringe, 30 Rock and The Office. I am interested in V to see where it goes. I watched the first version of V the first time around (that dates me, but then the Emma Peel comment did as well). And as guilty pleasures I like Survivor and Project Runway (their sewing amazes me).

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhh!
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
SPONGEBOB SQAUREPANTS!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist

Lost and Combat. Both have characters I care about, as well as interesting story lines.

I just wish today's novels had so many interesting, three-dimensional characters as Lost.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next