Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
what is your favorite musical? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Easy Reader

Silver Contributor

Post Re: what is your favorite musical?
I have wanted to see Wicked, but have not had the opportunity. I love the music from it! So, favorite that I have seen is Spring Awakening. Music is so much fun! I saw the original cast. For any of you that are fans of Glee, Lea Michele played the lead female role.

to the sharp pit
so long concealed
--May Swenson

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Nullifidian wrote:
I also like Kander and Ebb's Chicago, Cabaret, and Sweet Charity. Sweet Charity was given, in one of the best performances I've ever seen, in a small, now-defunct experimental theatre called Sledgehammer Theatre.

Wow Nullifidian, you get around, I envy you. I also loved Cabaret, I was lucky to see it starring Joel Grey many years ago.

I would have to say my favorite musical is Cats, I saw it with my husband, well, before we were married. We have seen many musicals since then, but because of the wonderful, memorable time we had, Cats, is my favorite.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:30 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

Suzanne wrote:
Wow Nullifidian, you get around, I envy you.

It's a byproduct of living in San Diego. Many new musicals get their "out of town tryouts" at the Old Globe Theatre or the La Jolla Playhouse. Sometimes this can be a good thing, like when I saw Into the Woods at the Old Globe, and sometimes it can be a very bad thing. A few years back at the Old Globe, I went to see The Full Monty, which was three hours long and excruciatingly boring. I gather they tightened up the show a little after this performance, but still it wasn't much of a consolation for sitting through it in the first place.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

This is going to sound really weird...but it's a toss-up between Sweeney Todd and My Fair Lady.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

It is interesting how different people have different tastes in music, musicals and other art forms. My wife and I walked out of Sweeney Todd after about 45 minutes. It was just too annoying for us. But the rest of the audience seemed mesmerized.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile Email WWW
Creative Writing Student

Chris OConnor wrote:
It is interesting how different people have different tastes in music, musicals and other art forms. My wife and I walked out of Sweeney Todd after about 45 minutes. It was just too annoying for us. But the rest of the audience seemed mesmerized.

Try this. Rent the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn version and try that. What you may have seen was not necessarily what it's supposed to be. This, from the late 80s (I think) is what I would call the definitive version.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile Email
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:

:shock:

My God, Sweeney Todd is amazing. Dark humor, gorgeous music, cannibalism! it doesn't get much better, really. When my parents first saw it in London many moons ago, my dad, not realizing how graphic the musical was going to be, had eaten kidney pie for lunch before the show. About halfway through, he got very, very ill. I found this absolutely hilarious at the time, but now it's less funny because he does have a thing about blood or even the idea of blood, because anytime he's caring for one of his family members in a hospital he passes out. From now on he's forbidden to be present when any of us have any surgical procedures, and even when we're recovering and he comes to visit the sight of an IV makes him a bit woozy.

Anyway, I can't choose one musical. I've seen many, performed in many, worked tech on many...it's practically in my blood.
I'd have to say some of my all-time favorites are Into the Woods, Les Miserables, Pippin, The Who's Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, West Side Story, Candide, Sweeney Todd, Assassins, Hair, this list could go on forever. For your sakes, I won't let it. :lol:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm
Gaining experience

My favorites are definitely Wicked and Phantom of the Opera. I also loved Avenue Q, and Rent. Lion King was great live, and I have seen a few other good ones too. I am a total musical lover though, a little obsessive at that :D

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:19 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

What about Moulin Rouge?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm
Creative Writing Student

I guess I should amend my statement by saying that I don't care much for musicals. Especially these days, when it seems like if it has a title they'll make a musical out of it. The Ten Commandments: The Musical? Good grief! I've seen few musicals on stage. I saw Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway several times, and Godspell I don't know how many times in its little off-Broadway theatre, and Pippin, which was a waste of money, and some repertory work. But I'd much rather see a film version than see it live. This no doubt makes me a very strange animal, but anyone could tell you that.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile Email
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

tomwhite56 wrote:
I guess I should amend my statement by saying that I don't care much for musicals. Especially these days, when it seems like if it has a title they'll make a musical out of it. The Ten Commandments: The Musical? Good grief! I've seen few musicals on stage. I saw Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway several times, and Godspell I don't know how many times in its little off-Broadway theatre, and Pippin, which was a waste of money, and some repertory work. But I'd much rather see a film version than see it live. This no doubt makes me a very strange animal, but anyone could tell you that.

:shock:

I love Pippin! I was in Pippin!

Actually, I'm not shocked or offended at all that you feel that way about it. Pippin isn't for everyone, in fact, it's really most appreciated by theater insiders who happen to be history buffs with a need to find meaning in life. And that describes me to a T. :lol:

But I do think it has good music, sometimes lovely, sometimes silly, and sometimes absolutely beautiful. It moves me very much, sometimes more than deeper or more complex musicals.

But as they say, there's no accounting for taste, and to each his own and whatnot. ;)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm
Almost Comfortable

vampire0x0master wrote:
my favorite is either rent or little shop of horrors.

You guys really ask the HARD QUESTIONS!!!!
I can't name one I love love love musicals.
If you're a musical fan get in touch and we'll talk.

:)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

My favorite move musical is The Sound of Music hands down. I haven't had the opportunity to see many musicals in the theater. I would really like to see Wicked.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 am
Profile Email ICQ WWW
Atop the Piled Books

Jesus Christ Super Star I love the music in it. I'm talking about the video as I'm not a theatre goer. Has to be the music from the video or i can't listen to it. Same with Rocky Horror Picture Show if it isn't Tim Curry singing it doesn't sound right to me.

A man's a man for a' that.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm
Eligible to vote in book polls!

missyannlala wrote:
What about Moulin Rouge?

Hell yeah! I love Moulin Rouge. It takes #1 on my list of favorite movies for sure!
Ewan Mcgregor is simply the most amazing man alive lol he can act, sing, and look sexy doing it! The only person that comes close to him (and was my number one before Ewan came along) is Mathew Broderick ;) lol

Sadly I have not seen any live shows :( I really need to go see some I absolutely LOVE musicals! I'm a very deprived person I find lol

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next