• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is the scientific explanation for Holly's journey?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

What is the scientific explanation for Holly's journey?

Unread post

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: What is the scientific explanation for Holly's journey?

Unread post

It says in the first sentence that the cat has an "extraordinary sense of direction," and probably that's the long and short of it.

How does the homing pigeon find its way home? Many animals do, in fact, have a remarkable ability to find their way home or, like the salmon, migrate upstream to the precise place of their birth when they're ready to spawn.

I don't know how well we understand this mechanism or instinct, but it's certainly very cool!
-Geo
Question everything
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

This is why your tirades against science make no sense.

Are you saying that science doesn't know everything about it yet? Sure, no one disagrees.

Are you saying the explanation lies outside of science? Why would it? You want to invoke God to explain this?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:This is why your tirades against science make no sense.

Are you saying that science doesn't know everything about it yet? Sure, no one disagrees.

Are you saying the explanation lies outside of science? Why would it? You want to invoke God to explain this?
Actually, I'm actually asking if there is a scientific explanation for an event like this.
I am exercising my right to ask questions. I may have missed some scientific stud related to similar occurrences.

I'm about to "De-friend" you here on BT because of your defensive posture whenever you think science is being attacked.

Relax, bro. I know you champion science with all the gusto you can spew.
Last edited by ant on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: I am exercising my right to ask questions. I may have missed some scientific stud related to similar occurrences.

I'm about to "De-friend" you here on BT because of your defensive posture whenever you think science is being attacked.

Relax, bro. I know you champion science with all the gusto you can spew.
That's fine. I was basing my response on 90% of your posts which are: Religion good, science bad.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

How does the homing pigeon find its way home? Many animals do, in fact, have a remarkable ability to find their way home or, like the salmon, migrate upstream to the precise place of their birth when they're ready to spawn.
Yes, I know that. It's remarkable.
But it's not an explanation.

Any substantive explanations other than it's "remarkable!"?

I'm being serious here.

But yes, it's truly remarkable, this extraordinary sense of direction. Like a gps in the brain!
But, where WOULD it be in the brain?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Oh, you approve, Dexter?
great! I'm so glad you do!

"science bad"

Where have I said that?
Post a link, please
Last edited by ant on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
Yes, I know that. It's remarkable.
But it's not an explanation.

Any substantive explanations other than it's "remarkable!"?

I'm being serious here.

But yes, it's truly remarkable, this extraordinary sense of direction. Like a gps in the brain!
But, where WOULD it be in the brain?
I personally don't have knowledge of how animals navigate. Why don't you Google it?

Given your usual agenda, I can see why Dexter was expecting another tirade against the fact that science can't explain everything. But now I understand that you're just throwing the question out in case someone here knows something about it.

Yes, somewhere in the brain. Or did you think there might be a supernatural explanation?
-Geo
Question everything
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Oh, you approve, Dexter?
great! I'm so glad you do!
I meant it was fine if you want to "de-friend" me.

My bad, I thought it was going to be another criticism of science and defense of the Vague, Generic Deity. As geo said, that is your usual agenda.

It is my chosen path to battle against VGD and defend science. I shall destroy VGD! (And other specific deities too)
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

This argument reminds me of one I had once with a self-professed Christian. He was always putting science down for new discoveries; a paraphrase of his argument was "Science is always changing, but the Bible is always accurate and true." He mind was so closed you could not have opened it with dynamite. I finally gave up even trying to talk to him. No offense intended, but.....

On the other hand, "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." --James Oberg, American NASA scientist.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Science & Technology”