• In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What is the Meaning of Life? (NT)

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Metaphorm

What is the Meaning of Life?

Unread post

Results (total votes = 8):TO KICK ASS!!&nbsp1 / 12.5%&nbsp I disagree, see below...&nbsp7 / 87.5%&nbsp 
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: What is the Meaning of Life?

Unread post

The meaning of life is to always search for the meaning of life.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

There is absolutely no meaning to life. For meaning to exist it must be assigned by an intelligence.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I sort of agree with mr. p and Chris. It is good to search for meaning, as mr. p says. I also agree with Chris in that there is no one meaning of life assigned to us by an intelligence outside of ourselves. I would say that the meaning of life is what you make it.
Metaphorm

Anonymous Poetry

Unread post

How does one go about assigning it?
riverc0il
Senior

Re: Meaning of life

Unread post

Quote:There is absolutely no meaning to life. For meaning to exist it must be assigned by an intelligence.i completely agree. i used to write poetry a while back. in college about 8 years ago i wrote down my thoughts on the meaning of life as a freshman and can say i haven't changed my opinion one bit:Quote:The true meaning of lifeIs what ever you believeit to be. You give life yourown meaning cause it hasNone.---if you seek a meaning to life,seek to better yourself as aperson everyday of your lifeand you will have found yourMeaning. Edited by: riverc0il at: 12/6/05 9:34 pm
rasterif6

Meaning of life

Unread post

There is no meaning of life other then the meaning that you assign it. Simple.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Chris OConnor: There is absolutely no meaning to life. For meaning to exist it must be assigned by an intelligence.Well, let's complicate that point of view a little. Humans have intelligence, and can therefore assign to life a meaning. But you state that there is "absolutely" no meaning to life -- does it follow that not just any intelligence will do?One implication of that may be that, for the assignation of meaning to be valid, it must be not merely assigned but built into the structure of the meaningful thing. Does that seem correct?For instance, a traffic sign is only meaningful because it is constructed to mean a particular thing: no parking, say. But in response to that, we might also point to the fact that people often assign meaning to things they have not created, and that the meaning seems to hold good so long as it remains agreed upon. Consider the old sailor's rhyme "Red sky by morning, sailor's warning." If that still fits the requirement of meaning, then maybe a thing can have meaning even without it having been created with that meaning.Of course, I may be using all of these terms naively. But if that's the case, then I think we're best served by using terms that are less susceptible to such easy misinterpretation.Can someone set all of this straight?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Quote:Well, let's complicate that point of view a little. Humans have intelligence, and can therefore assign to life a meaning. But you state that there is "absolutely" no meaning to life -- does it follow that not just any intelligence will do?There is no inherent meaning to life as life was not created and assigned a meaning by a creator. A chair has a meaning only because it was assigned a meaning by the intelligence that crafted it. If you were freezing to death and came across a few wooden chairs, lighter fluid and some matches those chairs would have a different meaning to you than they did to the designer and builder. Meaning is relative.We can now get into a discussion of the definitions of "meaning" and "purpose."
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

If you were freezing to death and came across a few wooden chairs, lighter fluid and some matches those chairs would have a different meaning to you than they did to the designer and builder. Meaning is relative.That's a thing apart from saying that there is no meaning. Would you say that the meaning of life is relative to the situation of each individual person? In other words, that there is no predetermined, inherent meaning that would override the situational meaning that each person finds in life?I should probably wait for your answer, but I'll go ahead and suggest this: if you agree to the clarifications that I've written in the above paragraph, then aren't we left with another complication? Would it be safe to say that all humans share certain situations in common? After all, we're all mortal, we're all consigned to death. So wouldn't that lead to the possibility of a certain universal meaning, relative to the fact of our mortality?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”