• In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What is Agnosticism?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaesterAuron151

What is Agnosticism?

Unread post

Agnostic seems to be a very general term. What is everyone's take on it?
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: What is Agnosticism?

Unread post

Well, the term breaks down into "a-", which is a prefix implying negation, and "gnosis", which is presumably the knowledge of a thing based on direct experience of its true nature. Agnosticism is essentially the denial that anyone knows a thing directly. The implication is that we can only know things indirectly by virtue of the five physical senses -- audio, aural, tactile, olfactory and... um... taste. (What is the fancy term for taste, anyway? Is it gustatory?) My memory might be failing me hear, but I think agnosticism was given its modern coinage by Thomas Huxley, a prominent popularizer (and moralizer) of Darwinian evolutionary theory. The term is most often applied to the questions of a spiritual nature -- to "remain agnostic" on an issue of spirit typically means to disavow any decisive knowledge as to its existence because the given subject is, often by definition, unknowable by means of the senses.Is that a pretty accurate summation?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: What is Agnosticism?

Unread post

The way I understand the term, yes that is accurate.Later

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”