Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What FICTION books would make for a great discussion? 
Official Newbie!

Post Re: What FICTION books would make for a great discussion?
Hi guys I am an up and coming author and a great fictional book I believe you all would like is a my new book series called “The Boy that Wanted to to Fly” and “ The. Boy that Wanted to fly: Paradise Island”. Everyone who has read it so far has loved it and is eagerly awaiting the third book. It is about a boy who believes he has the ability to fly and through rigorous training he eventually does. You can find it on XulonPress.com, Amazon, and eBay especially. I know you all will Ione it a lot. The only thing I ask is that you leave good ratings or online testimonials if you agree. Be blessed. :)

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

This one may already have been mentioned, as it has been on the best sellter list for a while. "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I just finished reading it, and enjoyed it.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Cattleman - I was thinking of picking that book up some time soon. It was recommended in my online book club!

I just finished this past weekend "Normal People" by Sally Rooney. Actually, it was that book that made me even join this site in hopes to speak and have a discussion about it. It turned out to be very different from what I had imagined from even the short summaries. My little expectations were superseded by the surmounting effects of the psyche. Just my opinion!

The following user would like to thank cv808 for this post:
vizitelly
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm
Profile Email
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

I've read Normal People by Sally Rooney. I have to say I didn't think too much of it, but then I don't think I could be described as its target audience. I think she can write but I also think that she didn't have much to write about in this novel.
What was your expectation of it ? Mine was that given the profile she has been given, there should have been more substance to the work. Compare it with Anna Burns' novel Milkman, for example.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:22 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

vizitelly wrote:
I've read Normal People by Sally Rooney. I have to say I didn't think too much of it, but then I don't think I could be described as its target audience. I think she can write but I also think that she didn't have much to write about in this novel.
What was your expectation of it ? Mine was that given the profile she has been given, there should have been more substance to the work. Compare it with Anna Burns' novel Milkman, for example.

To be perfectly honest, I had no expectations for this book at all. It's not my normal style of reading. While, I agree the style of writing wasn't anything to quite rave about, dull almost, like the whole book had a dullness to it, if I were to imagine it as a film it was in greyscale the whole way through. I also liked that the most about the book, how from beginning to end, the mood stayed somber. In fact, I was so irritated by the book that I had to admit I liked it. The ending threw me for a loop, yet in it's utmost unresolved way, it summed it up exactly how it probably should've ended. There was something about the nothingness that really made this book one I probably will never read again but happy to have read it, ya know?

I've never read Milkman. I probably will now that you've mentioned it. My next book on my list to read right now is Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson, waiting for it to ship in :-D .

vizitelly
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm
Profile Email
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

Yes, some writers play deliberate downbeat, probably looking for an evenness of tone; kind of like the literary equivalent of modal music. It's a clever trick, sustaining that for 80 or 90 thousand words, but it must be very boring to write. Normal People is essentially a rites of passage novel - ho hum - but I think it ultimately fails because what is needed is an engagement with the characters: you have like or loathe them. Insipid and self-possessed doesn't really cut the mustard. The great rites of passage novels - Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn. Treasure Island, Catcher In The Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird, A High Wind in Jamaica and so on - have that 'grab' about them and you are transported to that other place and time.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:34 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

This is no literary work of art that's for sure. I'd never say that. There's more about this book that I didn't like than I did like, yet it made me want to continue this drab story, and that in itself is what exceeded my expectations. I wish the spotlighting of emotional distress/mental health weren't such a dull extreme, like it never quite crossed the line, yet it was obvious. It dabbled for a bit with it and then just beat around the bush most of the time and that bothered me as well. I think it'd have been much better had it crossed lines but than it wouldn't have such it's melancholy tone that I appreciated so much. Inner turmoil and appreciation for the irony that Normal People explains perfectly that no one is quite normal.

vizitelly
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:08 pm
Profile Email

I hadn't thought about it in that way; I was waiting for it to become something more, but of course that wasn't the writer's intention. It did strike me that a writer can get caught between writing from direct experience and writing as a witness - and it felt that those lines were blurred.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Senior

Silver Contributor

LanDroid wrote:

KevinMcCabe recommends Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky in another thread.

If I'm going to take on Dostoevsky I'm going with The Brothers Karamazov or The Idiot. Crime and Punishment strikes me as a mismatch for high summer.

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Knowing how hard it is to sustain discussions of books (easy to sustain arguments), I'd always lean toward shorter fiction. I was thinking of rereading Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory. It's about a Catholic priest who has fathered a child. I'm sure I didn't fathom it well when I first read it. It is a very serious book about love and religion.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
vizitelly
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Years of membership
Senior

Silver Contributor

There's a heatwave in the northeastern U.S. I could go for something from this eclectic list of summer reads:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/07/best-beach-reads.html

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 am
Profile Email

DWill wrote:
Knowing how hard it is to sustain discussions of books (easy to sustain arguments), I'd always lean toward shorter fiction. I was thinking of rereading Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory. It's about a Catholic priest who has fathered a child. I'm sure I didn't fathom it well when I first read it. It is a very serious book about love and religion.

Graham Greene is an important writer but his early work, like this, was fairly reactionary. His attempt at defining evil leads him to defend the Catholic Church against the Mexican revolution. It took him a long time to cast off the training and world view that he was inculcated with during his long service in the British Diplomatic and Intelligence Service, and even longer to escape the shackles of Catholicism. He is a fascinating writer.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:38 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2