• In total there are 5 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What do you eat?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

What do you eat?

Unread post

This topic came up in the fitness poll, so I thought I'd open it for everyone.What do you eat? Not necessarily what is you favorite food, but what are your eating habits and diet?By diet, I mean, are there foods that you go out of your way to eat and foods that you try to avoid? By eating habits, I mean, what do you eat just as a matter of course, or when your will power caves?
AnnetteS

Re: What do you eat?

Unread post

Mad Architect, here I was 49 at this time last year and tried going vegan. I was influenced by the ecological damage which animal farming creates. There are 3 cows to every human now (or so I read several times) and that really is a lot of poop seeping into the topsoil and then further into the rivers. Then there is the methane gas the cows let off when they digest. And the more cows -- as in future China, per example, the more damage.Then I've sometimes been squimish cutting up a whole chicken anyway. I remember being a young wife, learning this, and thinking it looked like a little man. Well, that is just emotional, but the implications rest there with eating mammals and fowl.My daughter (16) is the one who really started this. My husband and son (20) don't go for it one bit.So, yes, I couldn't hold vegan past 8 months. Now I'm on the slippery slope to crustracians. I've eaten fish. I even bit a piece of meat a couple times. However, I won't go back to my old diet style.It is the combination of environmental damage and animal cruelty that keeps me vegetarian. I've read multiple materials stating that 80% of our US farms are factory farms and animals are just not treated right while they are alive. I am not so opposed if it is from an organic farm and they can live natural lives. You can get organic milk which is milked according to the cows schedule so they don't suffer from udder diseases caused by overmilking. Also, there are no hormones added.Otherwise, I like Asian food, noodles and vegetables, tofu marinated. And all sorts of stuff. French bread from France and cafe au lait. If my power caves, chocolate, cookies and kettle chips. Right now, I'm 5'6", 130. Last year I was 120, so I didn't drop any pounds going veggie.I've never wanted to be one of those people obsessed with dietery concerns to the point where they neglect other ethical, intellectual or spiritual issues. And obviously, since I'm still married, I make meatloaf and don't make a fuss about it. Edited by: AnnetteS  at: 11/18/05 8:54 pm
ADO15

Unread post

I've been vegetarian since 1984, when i was in my late teens. It wasn't an ethical decision, though my persistence is - it was simply I couldn't afford meat when I (and 5 million others) were unemployed.I went vegan for two years after I had developed IBS, and that cured it, but a vegan diet is very difficult to sustain if you have young children.So now I'm vegetarian, in a house of meateaters.Last piece of meat I ate? A lump of chicken last week, in the mistaken impression it was paneer (mislabelled takeaway boxes to blame).Oh - and the question meatheads always ask me - do I miss bacon? No. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I was fully vegetarian for a little over three years. And I was horrible at it. Since then, I've gained a new appreciation for several vegetables that I used to hate -- cooking on your own will do that for you. But ultimately I gave up on full vegetarianism, in part because of the social difficulties it raised. I added seafood at first, and have stuck largely to that simply because it affords so much variety that you hardly need anything else. I later added fowl, but am not terribly happy about my chicken intake. I'd rather stick to game birds like turkey and duck when possible, but you don't see duck on all that many menus.But then, vegetarianism was never a staunch ethical decision for me. I did it most out of a need for some discipline. I wanted to take control of my diet, and vegetarianism provided a set of clear guidelines for doing so. That said, even returning to a semi-carnivorous diet, I try to be cognizant of the vast amount of waste and abuse caused by the American dependence on meat. I'd say something in the vicinity of 2/3rds of my meals are still vegetarian. I'll take a taste of pork or beek or lamb if its prepared a way I've never had it, and I'll swallow my pride -- and dinner -- if someone innocently serves me mammalian fare, but I don't miss other kinds of meat.I have a weakness for starches -- rice, pasta, cereals, baked goods, potatoes and sweet potatoes. If I'm not careful I tend to end up with meals that are various shades of yellow, brown and white. I love sushi, but usually refuse to get the cheaper, more readily available stuff. I do like spicy foods, both the hot variety and the savory. I've been trying to keep my sweet tooth in check, with little success.Hmm, so far we've only heard from people with vegetarian inclinations. Have any meat eaters put restrictions on their diets? What are you favorite foods?
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I very much enjoy food. I eat most foods. I do not diet or impose any tight restrictions on what I eat. I do control portion sizes and daily intake. I stay away from fast food and empty calorie foods. I also cook dinner six nights a week and eat most meals at home, where I can control what goes into my body. Like Mad, I have a weakness for starches. I also enjoy spicy food(hot and savory). Garlic is a favorite of mine. Seafood is another favorite. I have often considered going vegetarian because of the horror of factory farming. As Annette mentioned, it is the torture animals endure while alive on farms that is most upsetting to me, rather than the fact that the animals are killed for food. However, I am one of those people who are very affected by the sight and smell of food. If someone nearby is eating it, then I want some too! I think that I could go vegetarian if I was living with someone who was a vegetarian.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I was dating a vegetarian when I gave up meat, so that does help, Tara. If you decide to give it a shot, I'd suggest seeking out at least one or two vegetarian friends, for the moral support.

Return to “Everything Else”