• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What Democrat would make a good US President?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

What Democrat would make a good US President?

Unread post

What Democrat would make a good US President?I'm not asking for predictions on who will run for office or who stands an actual chance of winning a national election. I'd simply like to pretend that none of that matters and discuss who would make the best US President.
RuthlessBob

Re: What Democrat would make a good US President?

Unread post

I thought it was generally agreed that Martin Sheen was the way forward? Also I'm not actually a feminist at all but I would like to see a female US president, I feel like that is something a lot of Americans might actually have an issue with though? Maybe Hilary could take over where Bill left off, a husband and wife tag team as opposed to the Bush's father-son.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'd like to see a female President too.
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

the best president would not be a democrat, let's get that straight right off. obviously, the best president would not be a repub either i don't think a best president could ever be elected because in my mind, that candidate would be clean of special interest obligations and political debt free. also would expect that candidate to not just play lip service to controlling spending and having a smaller government and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! dems and repubs are both equally guilty of ratting out how bad the other party is at spending money, they going nuts with the programs. hey, at least the budget was balanced and debt eliminated under a demo prez, only took 6 years to push that debt back over 8 trillion and growing!Barack Obama has been mentioned but i don't think he is running for 08'. look for him to be a serious contender in 12' though.hillary is tainted beyond belief. it's too bad though. but she could never be prez any ways... there is a two term limit for presidents i can't think of many democrats that inspire me. status quo still in the democratic party, no one has the guts to stand up and draw some lines in the sand and come up with a serious plan to fix the mess this country is right now.
ADO15

Unread post

Jimmy Carter _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Jimmy Carter already made a bad President. Why would he make a good one a second time around?
ADO15

Unread post

He's your best President in the last four decades, but the US is the only nation not to realise that. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Maybe we define "best" differently.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris:Why was Jimmy Carter a bad President? I just want your views.He is a great person, you have to admit that...(see, even I can like a Theist!).The one thing that killed him is his tendency to micro manage the execution of policy from what I have learned.From the White House bio:Quote:Carter worked hard to combat the continuing economic woes of inflation and unemployment. By the end of his administration, he could claim an increase of nearly eight million jobs and a decrease in the budget deficit, measured in percentage of the gross national product. Unfortunately, inflation and interest rates were at near record highs, and efforts to reduce them caused a short recession. Carter could point to a number of achievements in domestic affairs. He dealt with the energy shortage by establishing a national energy policy and by decontrolling domestic petroleum prices to stimulate production. He prompted Government efficiency through civil service reform and proceeded with deregulation of the trucking and airline industries. He sought to improve the environment. His expansion of the national park system included protection of 103 million acres of Alaskan lands. To increase human and social services, he created the Department of Education, bolstered the Social Security system, and appointed record numbers of women, blacks, and Hispanics to Government jobs. In foreign affairs, Carter set his own style. His championing of human rights was coldly received by the Soviet Union and some other nations. In the Middle East, through the Camp David agreement of 1978, he helped bring amity between Egypt and Israel. He succeeded in obtaining ratification of the Panama Canal treaties. Building upon the work of predecessors, he established full diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China and completed negotiation of the SALT II nuclear limitation treaty with the Soviet Union. There were serious setbacks, however. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan caused the suspension of plans for ratification of the SALT II pact. The seizure as hostages of the U. S. embassy staff in Iran dominated the news during the last 14 months of the administration. The consequences of Iran's holding Americans captive, together with continuing inflation at home, contributed to Carter's defeat in 1980. Even then, he continued the difficult negotiations over the hostages. Iran finally released the 52 Americans the same day Carter left office. Right Wing:Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 3/27/06 1:18 pm
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Just having read Sarah Vowell's essay "The Nerd Voice", I'm halfway to being convinced that Al Gore actually would have made a pretty good president. Here's a guy who actually takes an active interest in the issues and is careful to inform himself before he takes a position -- or so it would seem, at least.

Return to “Current Events & History”