• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: What Books Do You Dislike?

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:You didn't like Great Expectations? That's one of my favorite fiction books. =(

What didn't you like about it? I didn't think Dracula was that bad either...

Now I'm reading a book by Hardy and you obviously don't like him.

I think I have found my arch nemesis!!! =D
So this is why I am the arch nemesis!!??

Oy.

I didn't like Hardy's writing, it's too stilted and boring. I also have only read Jude the Obscure, and I think those characters are all despicable, especially Jude.

Great Expectations lost me somewhere, I think. I hated the female lead, and I think Dickens meant to show the trivial and cruel game-playing-ness of women in that character and I hated her beyond measure. Once he went to London I stopped following Pip and couldn't keep up my interest. It also doesn't help that I read it as a requirement in my first year of high school, and as it is such a dauntingly large book, there were a lot of worksheets and outlines to write. I'm also not a fan of Dickens' writing style. I like his stories, but not his writing. I know I may get shot for that, but it's true. With a few exceptions, I don't really like the writing of the Victorian era. I prefer 20th century writers.
keepero
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Island by Huxley
Kim by Kipling
anything written by Brian Herbert

As for the books i love anything that Vonnegut has written as well as Frank Herbert. I also enjoy
reading books that chronicle the evolution of mathematical principles, I am currently in the process of
reading The great equations by Robert P Crease.
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I dislike books where the author has no clue about what they are writing about.

Such as it is very hard to write about poverty if you have never lived in it.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Dickens did a very good job of writing about poverty and its consequences.

So did Steinbeck in The Grapes of Wrath.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I agree with everyone who didn't like "A Tale of two Cities" I just had to read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Freire for class and loathed it.

"The Lord of the Flies" ranks up there in my top ten of bad reads as does "Moby Dick"

I like a lot of Twain's works but NOT "Tom Sawyer" or "Huckleberry Finn"

I read "Travels with Charley" by Steinbeck in 7th or 8th grade because I needed a nonfiction book to read for a book report, and hated it. I skipped through and wrote from bits and pieces here and there, and basically got an "A" because I talked about my teachers favorite part.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Lord of the Flies - I first heard as a Radio Play - it was shattering.....

It wasn't until years later, when I read it and discussed it in a University extra-mural class, that I realised what it was addressing. ie - Whether we would revert to barbarism if taken out of the influence of society. Nature/Nurture debate.

I think some things are understood when we confront them in our life's journey. If teachers try to thrust them upon us before we are aware of the 'question' they seem boring.

At school, I could never understand T S Elliot's poetry....because it is about ageing. Now, I find it very consoling.

Having said that, there is still a lot of classical literature that I find incomprehensible.

ps- and I really am quite old now...
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
lovesbooks07
Master Debater

Unread post

These are the books i didn't like

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Swimming Pool Sunday by Madeleine Wickham
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Lovesbooks07....didn't you like Black Beauty? I'm not a very horsey person, but I liked it.

It is disconcerting when we don't like what we are supposed to like. I mean, what our peer group like.

I don't like John Grisham....although many of my peer group think his books are great.

It is best to tell the truth.....and not just try to fit in. So, 'well done', lovesbooks07.

Rafael Sabatini
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

lovesbooks07 wrote:These are the books i didn't like

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Swimming Pool Sunday by Madeleine Wickham
I was disappointed by Life of Pi. I thought Martel could have done a lot more with that story. His existentialism got in the way of his story telling. Quite the opposite of Camus and others of that ilk.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
lovesbooks07
Master Debater

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Lovesbooks07....didn't you like Black Beauty? I'm not a very horsey person, but I liked it.

It is disconcerting when we don't like what we are supposed to like. I mean, what our peer group like.

I don't like John Grisham....although many of my peer group think his books are great.

It is best to tell the truth.....and not just try to fit in. So, 'well done', lovesbooks07.
Black beauty i love horses and mabey that why i didn't like it due to what they did.

The only book i read by John Grisham is Skipping Christmas and i love that book.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”