Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"What Book Changed Your Mind?" 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post "What Book Changed Your Mind?"
I didn't know who these people were that they asked, but there are some interesting book suggestions:

http://chronicle.com/article/What-Book- ... nd-/149839

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
youkrst
Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:49 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Post Re: "What Book Changed Your Mind?"
FAHRENHEIT 451 was the book for me. Ray Bradbury's short stories were what firsat made me want to become a writer, and this novel further cemented that dream inside of me, as well as more deeply instilled this passion for books and a fight against censorship.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:49 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: "What Book Changed Your Mind?"
When I first came to BookTalk, I had been wrestling between theism & atheism and at that time was still hoping to find Something There. Reading and discussing Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan on BookTalk convinced me that quest was ridiculous.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:59 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

LanDroid wrote:
When I first came to BookTalk, I had been wrestling between theism & atheism and at that time was still hoping to find Something There. Reading and discussing Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan on BookTalk convinced me that quest was ridiculous.

I'd never heard of that book, but I'll certainly check it out.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:30 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

LanDroid, I didn't know Demon-Haunted World was so instrumental in your shift from theism to atheism. But it makes sense that it was.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:42 pm
Profile Email WWW
Master Debater

in the mid-1960s, fresh out of college, I was a supporter of our war in Vietnam. Needless to say, I ran into a slew of opposing viewpoints. Then I bought a book by the Ripon Society, titled: "100 Reasons Why We Are in Vietnam." Was certain this would provide all the info I needed to bolster my opinions. I read it, and came to the conclusion that the United States had absolutely NO reason to be fighting a war in Vietnam.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:15 pm
Profile Email
Intelligent

Hal Henry wrote:
in the mid-1960s, fresh out of college, I was a supporter of our war in Vietnam. Needless to say, I ran into a slew of opposing viewpoints. Then I bought a book by the Ripon Society, titled: "100 Reasons Why We Are in Vietnam." Was certain this would provide all the info I needed to bolster my opinions. I read it, and came to the conclusion that the United States had absolutely NO reason to be fighting a war in Vietnam.

I am speaking as someone born in 1990, so of course I was not around in that era. But the books that have shaped my opinion regarding Vietnam were the novels and short story collections written by Vietnam vets. THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien, A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN by Robert Olen Butler, and of course THE FOREVER WAR by Joe Haldeman were all influential for their brutal but beautiful deptictions of the time.

The following user would like to thank Movie Nerd for this post:
youkrst
Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Atop the Piled Books

FAHRENHEIT 451 and Atlas Shrugged. Shame on me, but it was not a long time ago when I've finished to read them.

The following user would like to thank Lesley_Vos for this post:
youkrst
Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pop up Book Fanatic

This may seem to mainstream, but for me, the book that changed my outlook on life was The Fault in Our Stars. Sometimes we think that life is hard, that life is unfair, but upon reading it, people with ailments/disabilities are the ones who have it harder. It's hard to fall in love, to get attached because you may not know when your ailment will attack you, and it's hard to see your loved ones stress over you.

The following user would like to thank janny for this post:
youkrst
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

"Follow Your Heart: Finding Purpose in Your Life and Work" by Andrew Matthews has changed my mind to more positive. Try this book.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Deepak Chopra changed my mind about self awareness. I did not read the book when it first came out. I was overcoming an illness in those years. Once I became well I read the book only to fund that his belief that we must do what we are devoted to stood true. The jobs that i held while ill were all in sales. Helping people is something that helps me loose track of time in much the same way as he writes. It saved my life to be in sales while sick because I did not have to think twice about it and sustained my life.

He also talks about not being obsessed with things. His definition of things to include emotions and obsessions spoke to me. We hoard wants and really we should give away those things that we want to receive. I felt released from such obsessions upon understanding Chopra's work.

I recommend the book to most people who want to change their paradigm and unlock their potential.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 pm
Profile Email
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I already posted one, but another book that changed my mind was The Bible. At one point I was raised to believe The Bible is the inerrant Word Of God and one could receive personal Divine Inspiration by reading it. Well it didn't take long to figure out "WTF this thing is RIDDLED with errors!" and so my convoluted journey away from that mind set began...

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 pm
Asleep in Reading Chair

Skeptic Magazine and the Bible changed my mind markedly. They both convinced me that religion is nonsense.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:15 am
Profile Email
Permanent Ink Finger

Also a Ray Bradbury book The Butterfly Effect. It made me realize that any given decision can change the world. Everything I do makes other things fall into place and that had a profound effect on me. It made me start thinking about the consequences of my actions in high school which is a big deal for a teenager.

The following user would like to thank mlmooney89 for this post:
youkrst
Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:28 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Well I finished reading Paper Towns by John Green. I enjoyed it a lot, and it definitely changed my mind about seeing other sides of people. I recommend it to any reader from ages 13+ for language. I overall thought of that book as a way to change how you look at the world and the people around you. :goodpost: :up:

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next