Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
What are you reading right now? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

What are you reading right now?
I just finished reading Venetia by Georgette Heyer.
I really enjoyed it too.
What are you reading right now? :D

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
Hidden Talents by Erica James.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg.
Highly recommended.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Just started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, curious to see if it's as good as i've heard.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 am
Profile Email
Knows the secrets of the internetz

"The City" by Dean Koontz.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:51 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Inventing Leonardo - by A. Richard Turner.

http://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Leonard ... g+leonardo

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:28 pm
Profile Email
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

Finishing "A Dance with Dragons" want to be through the books before the next season starts on HBO. I'm always funny about reading before watching for some reason.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:14 pm
Profile Email
Knows the secrets of the internetz

To CoolSummer. I have read all five of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and looking forward to No. 6. I also saw seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones on DVD (my daughter loaned them to me). If I had not read the books, I would not have understood what was going on in the videos. I wonder if others feel this way, and would like to hear from someone who has seen the TV series, but not read the books. Did you ever feel you were missing somtheing???

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

I just started The Duchess by Jude Deveraux.

The following user would like to thank Miss Minx for this post:
Movie Nerd
Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:47 pm
Profile Email
Intelligent

I'm about to start reading SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE by Kurt Vonnegut.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 am
Profile Email
Intelligent

I was going to start reading SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE, but then I got to reading Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER. This is a rather odd piece; it's kind of like Charles Bukowski writing about his growing artistic years if he decided to go off on obscure metaphorical bents.

The following user would like to thank Movie Nerd for this post:
Hal Henry
Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera and Bill Cleaver

~*You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take the first step*~

The following user would like to thank Deanna_Anderson for this post:
Hal Henry
Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:09 pm
Profile Email WWW
Pop up Book Fanatic

I'm reading Foundation A History of England by Peter Ackroyd. I'm reading it more for the author than for the subject matter, though the author does present the subject matter in a compelling manner.

Generally speaking, however, I'm reading at least ten books. I start them, come back to them, read them according to the mood I'm in. I can be like this with people too, though across even longer periods. I might not see someone for years, but when I see him or her again, I connect right back up where I left things. Sometimes I think this habit makes me a bit scattered (the reading habit, that is). Other times I think it's because of how the world works, they we are as people. We watch lots of different TV programs in a given period according to the mood we're in, don't we? In fact, strange that to read lots of different books in the one period of my life might mean that I'm scattered, whereas to watch a single TV series from Netflix or wherever in the one sitting (instead of watching three or four different programs in the one evening) means that I'm a "binge" watcher.

Is anyone else reading lots of different books right now (in a given period) as opposed to just the one book?

The following user would like to thank JJ_Co for this post:
Chris OConnor, Hal Henry
Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile Email
Master Debater

I'm reading "Gone Girl." by Gillian Flynn; I have an affinity for reading books, imagining how it might be turned into a screenplay, then seeing the actual movie. Began with "The Maltese Falcon" and continued thru my college studies and now into advanced age. I just finished Terry Hayes epic thriller "I Am Pilgrim" and Barbara Leaming's wonderful bio of Orson Welles (of the many, MANY Welles books I've read over the years, this is by far the best). Usually I have 4-5-6 books going, including one in the outhouse ("Contrary to Popular Opinion," by Alan Dershowitz) and one in the indoor facility ("Material Dreams," Kevin Starr's history of southern California thru the 1920s). I find that between these two locations alone, I can read a couple dozen books a year, and I often wonder how people who don't read are even ABLE to have BMs. Also, I'm reading to my wife while she knits: James Ellroy's "Perfidia." Having been born and raised in Ellay, I can translate for her all the pop culture and geographic references of SoCal in the 40s-50s-60s. She could do the same for me, except that there don't seem to be any thrillers written about Indianapolis, and I don't knit.

The following user would like to thank Hal Henry for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Hal Henry wrote:
Also, I'm reading to my wife while she knits...

This is beautiful to hear. A sign of a good marriage and relationship for sure. There is something inherently pleasurable to read aloud or to have a book read to you aloud.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:01 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next