Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What are you reading right now? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
I finished the Legend trilogy and Life Before Legend a few days ago and now I think I'm going to read The Maze Runner series. Fortunately I have all of 'em. 'Just bought The Scorch Trials this week.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:02 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

PLAYED BY THE BOOK by Lucy Arlington. It's difficult for me to find time to read nowadays, but I'm glad I'm making time for this one!

Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 am
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Oh, I just finished reading Mindfulness Meditation. Really useful for relaxing.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:47 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

The Mammoth Book of Short Science Fiction Novels. Presented by Isaac Asimov.
There are some great names in this volume, Isaac Asimov, Lester Del Rey, Larry Niven and many others. Just started it and enjoying it very much.

Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: What are you reading right now?
I recently finished The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual Level 2 General, and passed the test to get my General Ham Radio license from the FCC (2nd of 3 levels).

I also finished Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris.

Currently reading Fire Shut Up in My Bones a memoir by journalist Charles Blow. It is quite good, every few sentences I'm nodding my head thinking "that's a creative turn of phrase".

About to start on Going Clear for our non-fiction book discussion.

Also, my wife bought me a Kindle Fire and I just downloaded my first book Japanese from Zero! by George Trombley. I work in a Japanese owned and managed company, so thought it would be fun/worth a shot to learn some of the language. Heh, we'll see how this goes, at first glance it looks just a tad intimidating.... :cry:

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
DWill
Sat May 09, 2015 9:44 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Dialogues with the Devil - by Taylor Caldwell

For some reason this little paperback was priced high for a couple of years (sometimes up to 30 dollars).
I waited a long time for it to come down in price so I could get it. I read so many good things about it.
Now for some reason I find it to be disappointing. :|

So my attention is being diverted in this direction:

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Blade- ... philosophy

I'm really enjoying it. Particularly after having finished Electric Sheep.

Sun May 10, 2015 10:12 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has memorized The Illiad

I am completing "The Philip K. Dick Megapack," a collection of his short stories (though not all of them), which I borrowed to my Kindle via our local on-line library. I have just started "The Story of My Life" by Clarence Darrow. I found tis on Project Gutenberg - Australia, and downloaded it to my computer (free). I will reserve comments on Darrow's autobiography until I finish it.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Suzanne
Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Let me know what you think of the PKD stuff.

Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has memorized The Illiad

ant wrote:
Let me know what you think of the PKD stuff.

Dick had a rather pessimistic view of the future. :( Of course, all these stories (in this volume) were written in the early 1950s, a time when nuclear war seemed likely. :no: The tales are often set in blasted wastelands. :cry_baby: He also seems to have dim view of our future societies - almost every government is some sort of dictatorship, or an oligarchy. And war is incessant. :evil: Yet, he is a compelling writer. :hmm: Another feature of his writing, reflecting the time he lived in, almost all the male characters (and many of the female ones) in Dick's novels smoke, usually cigarettes. :wink:

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
ant
Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hi, I'm currently reading 'Bad Feminist' by Roxane Gay, she's really intelligent and funny in these essays.

http://www.roxanegay.com/bad-feminist/

The following user would like to thank DianaViOc for this post:
ant
Mon May 18, 2015 10:48 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Gave up on Dialogues with the Devil (for now) and am reading these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Blade- ... 1137412283

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Science-Does- ... sprove+god

Quote:
*Starred Review* In Aczel, Richard Dawkins and his fellow New Atheists face a formidable opponent. As a mathematician with a Berkeley-Harvard résumé, Aczel wields impressive intellectual weapons in demolishing the New Atheists’ claims that science has disproven the existence of God. With compelling reasoning, Aczel demonstrates that whenever Dawkins and his allies turn their attacks against anything but naively literal readings of the Bible, they distort or misrepresent the methods and findings of science. Darwinism has provided no godless explanation of how human consciousness emerged. The attempt to reduce the astounding fine-tuning of the big bang to quantum physics likewise leaves huge questions unanswered. Disproofs of God’s existence based on probability theory similarly fail under scrutiny. When the New Atheists buttress their flawed science by appealing to the authority of Einstein, Aczel catches them cherry-picking quotations, so hiding complexities in the great physicist’s metaphysical thinking. Those who truly grapple with modern science, Aczel finally avers, discover not a disproof of God but rather perplexing mysteries, such as the stunning vistas of infinity that the intensely religious theorist Georg Cantor glimpsed behind his revolutionary continuum hypothesis. Such mysteries may not signify the presence of the divine, but they will surely stir deep wonderings. --Bryce Christensen --

Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Non fiction: "Alan Turing: The Enigma", I am having so much fun with this book, I find myself stopping to learn more about ideas and topics within the book. That means an A* book to me. Also reading, "Going Clear" , the BT non fic discussion book. This book reads like a novel, the phrase, "you can't make this stuff up" applies to this book.

Fiction: I have discovered Richard Flanagan. "Goulds Book of Fish", was excellent but, "Death of a River Guide" was actually awesome. This novel is only 250 pages, but in content it feels like an epic. Beautiful prose, vivid characters and the consruction is brilliant, and I don't use that word lightly. Best novel of the year so far for me!

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
Cattleman
Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm
Official Newbie!

The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon. Speaks the Nightbird was very good, so I finally picked up the sequel.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:37 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membership
Devoted Member

The River Lake-James patterson

https://yellowducky2018.blogspot.com

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 pm
Profile Email WWW
Has memorized The Illiad

"Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next