Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What are you reading right now? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
Cattleman wrote:
To CoolSummer. I have read all five of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and looking forward to No. 6. I also saw seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones on DVD (my daughter loaned them to me). If I had not read the books, I would not have understood what was going on in the videos. I wonder if others feel this way, and would like to hear from someone who has seen the TV series, but not read the books. Did you ever feel you were missing somtheing???

I've only watched a few episodes here and there of the show. I have the first book, and have tried reading through it multiple times. I hope to finish it at some point, and the writing is great, but it's dense and I'm struggling with several other books at the moment.

The following user would like to thank Movie Nerd for this post:
Cattleman
Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Beyond Genius

Silver Contributor

Right now I am reading the 2004 autobiography "Its Not Easy Being Me" by Rodney Dangerfield.
In Chapter 8 he tells a story about his pot smoking;
" When you're high, you become an avid reader. I remember one night I smoked some pot, then started reading the newspaper. An hour later, I said to myself, what am I doing? I was reading about fishing conditions in Anchorage. And I don't even fish. And the paper was a month old"

I admire that level of concentration :lol:

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:44 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

Cattleman wrote:
To CoolSummer. I have read all five of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and looking forward to No. 6. I also saw seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones on DVD (my daughter loaned them to me). If I had not read the books, I would not have understood what was going on in the videos. I wonder if others feel this way, and would like to hear from someone who has seen the TV series, but not read the books. Did you ever feel you were missing somtheing???

I actually saw the first season before I began the books. I usually find that there is a lot more to any story to be found in a book. I am so glad I read them. I have to admit, when I see the show there are times I sit back a little critically thnikng wow that was really different. I am so glad I decided to read them as well as watching in retrospect. Sorry I took so long with my reply, I was ill over the holiday and didn't do much on the internet.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

The following user would like to thank CoolSummer for this post:
Cattleman
Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:32 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Silver Contributor

Movie Nerd wrote:
Cattleman wrote:

I've only watched a few episodes here and there of the show. I have the first book, and have tried reading through it multiple times. I hope to finish it at some point, and the writing is great, but it's dense and I'm struggling with several other books at the moment.

Try to see them all when you get a chance. The producers of this show made it visually stunning. Truly amazing to see it all come to life. Even all of the casting seems spot on to me.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Achilles in Vietnam ~ by Jonathan Shay, M.D. Ph.D.

from Amazon;

Quote:
An original and groundbreaking book that examines the psychological devastation of war by comparing the soldiers of Homer’s Iliad with Vietnam veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder

In this strikingly original and groundbreaking book, Dr. Shay examines the psychological devastation of war by comparing the soldiers of Homer’s Iliad with Vietnam veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Although the Iliad was written twenty-seven centuries ago it has much to teach about combat trauma, as do the more recent, compelling voices and experiences of Vietnam vets.

One of the absolute best books I've ever read.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:13 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

"The Longest Ride" by Nicholas Sparks
Sweet little book; not sure how I feel about the recurring conversation between the old man trapped in the car and his dead wife...???
“The Longest Ride” by Nicholas Sparks is a well written, romantic, tender love story for light reading. There is a surprising twist at the very end, however I did not find it a “page-turner”, or “suspenseful”, or “edge-of-your-seat” story, as noted in some other reviews...I did not find Ira's predicament throughout the book realistic – a 91 year old man who uses a walker driving somewhere at night in the middle of a bad snowstorm.
I found myself skimming over paragraphs when throughout the whole book he sits in the car while his wife appears to him to reminisce about their life. Actually, I found the book somewhat slow. Will probably go see the movie coming out this spring, hoping for a light and entertaining time. :)

Last edited by Crystalline on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

oh, there are two of these threads. the other one is "What are you currently reading?" in the Special Forums section. i'm currently reading the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. it's an interesting read--a lot of action and similarities with the real world, in my opinion. i like books that make me think...

anywho, 'hope everyone's enjoying the written word and looking forward to seeing what others are reading.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:33 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Star Member

Right now I'm reading his thread! I've just finished The Silkworm by J.K. Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith which was okay. For a really good read, I'd recommend Touching the Wire by Rebecca Bryn. Is this the next best seller?

Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

What Went Wrong: Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response - Bernard Lewis.

Quote:
Bernard Lewis, FBA (born May 31, 1916) is a British-American historian specializing in oriental studies. He is also known as a public intellectual and political commentator. Lewis is the Cleveland E. Dodge Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University. Lewis' expertise is in the history of Islam and the interaction between Islam and the West. He is also noted in academic circles for his works on the history of the Ottoman Empire.
[1. Wiki

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Reading... The best exotic marigold hotel, by Deborah Maggoch now.

I am haunted by waters.”

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 am
Profile Email
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Darn it! Every time I get a notice from this post, I am hoping to see my book being read...and it isn't happening...:(!!!
www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:24 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

rchapman1tewantin, i love J.K. Rowling! i'd like to read her Robert Galbraith books too when i have the time. i have so many books on my To Read list... too many. >.>

i'm currently on chapter... *looking at tablet* it's hard to tell which chapter i'm on (they're not numbered), but i'm on page 625 of Champion, the last book in the trilogy, i believe. it's an all-three-books-plus-an-addendum(?) book, so it's kind of hard to tell where i'm at, really. lol

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:16 pm
Profile Email
All Star Member

Hah, Chrystalline - wouldn't we all!

Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree

The following user would like to thank rchapman1tewantin for this post:
Crystalline
Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella and the short story of E. T. A. Hoffmann, The Sandman.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm
Profile Email
Atop the Piled Books

A book of Maria Matios, a Ukrainian novelist.

"Sweet Darusia" - unusual and quite interesting to read.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next