• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are you currently reading?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

What are you currently reading?

Unread post

What are you currently reading?I've got about 7 books sitting here with bookmarks sticking out. You show me yours and I'll show you mine. God, I haven't said that since 3rd grade.Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

"You show me yours...."I have not said that since last night, to my wife! Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I have:Battle for God - What Evolution Is. - Ernst MayrAtlas Shrugged - (as I commented elsewhere...3 years already!)Then there are a few I want to read but have not started...some fiction.The Skrayling Tree - Michael MoorcockBrave New World - HuxleyDid the Greeks Believe Their Myths - Paul Veyne (not fiction)Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
CSflim

Unread post

What books of mine currently have a bookmark in them? I'm currently reading three books:History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand RussellThe Meaning of Things - A. C. GraylingFluid Concepts and Creative Analogies - Douglas Hofstadter. Edited by: CSflim at: 2/21/05 3:23 pm
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

I have a bookshelf that I use for a bedside table, and it's filled. A couple of sf novels, a Saint novel, a French grammar book, a French vocabulary book (I have idealistic plans for my in-bed reading), a general book of poetry, plus some more interesting stuff:Fiction:Bitten by Kelley Armstrong a new Canadian author -- she's normal in all ways: small town, married, kids... but has written a wonderful book about werewolves. Abandon by Pico Iyermy favourite travel writer/essayist tries his hand at fictionNF:The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery and Meaning in an Ordinary Church by Margaret Visserauthor of Much Depends on Dinner, and The Rituals of Dinner -- tasty social historiesand Beowulf translated by Seamus Heaney
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

"Currently reading" requires some comment. For example, I could include "Histories" by Herodotus, except that I haven't made much progress on that in the last few months. So I'll limit my list to books that I carry with me in my bag."Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems", Galileo GalileiDecided to pick this one up at the library after a mini-debate about Galileo in the discussion about "The Battle for God" and some other comments in Jacob Bronowksi's "The Origins of Knowledge and Imagination". This is all part of my program to make myself more capable of critical analysis when reading science books. After this one, I plan on picking up Galileo's "Two New Sciences"."Pan", Knut HamsunA vaguely pastoral novel by the Nobel Prize winning Swedish novelist. It's a good novel to read in stolen moments, since most chapters clock in at the two or three page mark. The plot concerns a former army Lieutenant living on the outskirts of civilization and bewitched by the vaguely manipulative daughter of a town merchant. The story is highly character-oriented, anchored in psychological realism with the occasional hint of old-world religion."Concrete Island", J.G. BallardAnother short novel (possibly my favorite literary form), this one nearly a century more recent and a good deal more absurdist. The plot follows a London architect who crashes his car onto the land locked between intersecting highways and finds himself stranded there for days on end. It's part modern survival story and part psychological onion, drenched in urban existential angst. Imagine the novel as a collaboration between "Robinson Crusoe", Dostoevsky and Kafka and you won't be far off the mark."The Myth of the Magus", E.M. ButlerAn inquiry into the myth pattern associated with legendary magicians, wizards, sorcerers and so on. The author began the book as an exploration of the sources behind Goethe's "Faust" and soon found that the subject had taken on a life of its own. Interesting stuff if you're into the social and anthropological meaning of myth and folklore."The Naked Ape", Desmond MorrisLandmark book in which noted zoologist Desmond Morris turns his training on the human species. Personally, I have a problem with some of Morris' foundational starting points -- his exclusion, for instance, of societies that present an exception to some of his theses, on the grounds that they are "evolutionary deadends" -- but there are still some points of interest scattered throughout the book."An Introduction to Mathematics", Alfred North WhiteheadMore or less just what it says, although Whitehead's interest is more theoretical than instructive. He's also indicative of that prosaic style we tend to associate with the most insular of British scholarship, which can make for pretty laborous reading at times. But I've been neglecting math as a subject ever since graduating high school, so if the book helps me get a better grasp on the nature of the beast, it should be well worth it."Jesus and the Origins of Christianity", Maurice GoguelProbably not of much interest to many on Booktalk, although I'm finding it very informative. It's a two volume work -- the first volume dealt mostly with how to construct an honest and practical critical method in regards to the documentary evidence concerning Jesus' life -- and I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the second volume, which is where things begin to get really interesting. This is not, I should note, a work of pop-religion, and I'd be even less inclined to recommend it to a religious right-winger than to a freethinker."High Spirits", Robertson DaviesA collection of lighthearted, short ghost stories by the recently deceased author. I just picked this one up today at a bookstore that was having a going out of business sale. I've only read the first story so far, and it's likely not indicative of the whole, but I'm looking forward to the rest.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I used to only read one book at a time, especially since I tend to neglect everything in favor of reading and am able to polish off most fiction books I read in a day or two. As I have begun to read more non-fiction my reading habits have changed, so I usually have a non-fiction I'm working on and a fiction book I interrupt it with as well as whatever books I have to read for classes. I'm not in school right now, but my list is still up to 3, mainly because I've been to busy to finish any of them. They are:The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong (of course)The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (part of my non-fiction feminist reading kick)Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (fiction selection of the week)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Forgot one:"The Jugurthine War", SallustSome Roman history from a rather biased point of view. The subject concerns the Roman war with Numidia not long after the fall of Carthage. The central figure is Jugurtha, adopted son of the former king of Numidia, who erradicates the king's actual sons and wrests control of occupied Numidia from the Roman Senate. Jugurtha's a ruthless and ambitious pivot, but what gives the story grist is the corruption within Roman politics, without which he'd likely never have prospered. Frankly, I just enjoy reading the classics, but this, like other works of Roman and Athenian history, can be read almost as an allegory for contemporary American politics.
Murray Graham
Experienced

Unread post

Currently reading Oryx and Crake by Atwood, along with some history....Regards,M. Graham Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books.For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring,but to him they are but toys of the moment,to be overturned with the flick of a finger. -- Gordon R.DicksonEdited by: Murray Graham at: 3/4/05 1:42 pm
marti1900

Unread post

I'm all out of English language books, so am slogging my way through a set of the 'Classics' in Spanish, dictionary at my side.And a by the way: Mr. P, Atlas Shrugged is unreadable drivel, that's why it is taking you 3 years. Ayn Rand's books are better to talk about than to read.Marti in Mexico

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”