• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are you currently reading?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

Anyone else ever buy books this way?I'm also a big fan of charity book sales.What do you think of the Verne book, Chris? I read about half of "20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea" about a year ago and found it pretty dry reading. The plot and characters might have been interesting, but they were rather hard to discern beneath the mountain of scientific detail. I might have been interested in the various types of gastropods, real and speculative, had a been reading a non-fiction book, but that's not why I pick up a novel. Makes me think that Verne might serve well as the poster child for abridgements (the current poster child, as I understand it, being Victor Hugo).
pctacitus

Unread post

Rob,What humorous sentences are you refering to? ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
pctacitus

Unread post

I finished The Road Back this morning and returned it to the library.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...7RAL16H02HI'm starting The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology by Simon Winchester for a class that starts in May.www.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=books ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Massive Poster
United States of America

Unread post

While everyone's showing off the elite books they're reading, I just finished Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Pretty interesting actually, about a guy who does things like run 50K to the starting line of a marathon, then finish 4th in that race in 3:45! Or run 100 miles through the mountains non-stop. Or win the Badwater 135 ultra-marathon, the most hellish event on the planet. He tries to explain it, but
MonsterDick

Unread post

Hello all!! Been missing for a while!!!Hey, that sounds like an interesting book!! I think I'll look it up!!ThanxRob
pctacitus

Unread post

I'm not reading alot that isn't for school right now. However, I am still reading a little.Fiction:Battle cry by Leon Uriswww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glanceA Sense of Honor by James Webbwww.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=booksNonfiction:Ultimate Risk: Sas Contact Al Qaeda by Mark Nicolwww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glanceInside Delta Force : The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric Haneywww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glanceI'm also using these as guides in my fitness program, made largely from the first two:Chris Ryan's SAS Fitness Book by Chris Ryanwww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glanceFighting Fit : the Complete SAS Fitness Training Guide by Adrian Wealewww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glanceJoining the SAS: How to Get In and What It's Like by Barry Davieswww.amazon.com/exec/obido...8&v=glance Doug Larson: "The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to admitting it."
Savidbor

Unread post

I'm reading Amalgam by Robert Davis. a new short story which is dark and creepy, and yet passionate and inspiring.i found it here: www.lulu.com/content/161353
disabledpublishing

Unread post

For my work I am reading books on Iraq.No personal reading.
pctacitus

Unread post

Pardon me,What it is that you do and what books on Iraq you are reading for it? Doug Larson: "The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to admitting it."
Keith and Company

Unread post

Hmmmm....In the car a collection of comic fantasy short stories for those times that a wait is unavoidable. With three kids in scouts, one with a part time job, none with a driver's license, that's more than there was when i was enlisted...On the table beside me is Gulliver's Travels. Rereading it in order to write a fanfic spoof, replacing Gulliver with Edmund Blackadder.In the bed is Casual Rex, Spillaine meets Jurassic Park; Turning points in military history; Essential Militaria; A Book of curious advice, most unusual manners, morals and medicine from days of yore. A slow week.We just finished an actual inventory and as of three trips to the bookstore ago, we had close to 3000 books in the house.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”