Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What am I? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Post What am I?
What am I?
I have been in the sky,
and I have been in space,
it is no longer a race,
but I do fly.

Look closely
You think you know.
Not who am I but
What am I?
Attachment:
B192.jpg
B192.jpg [ 155.59 KiB | Viewed 2439 times ]

where n are natural numbers.

Tue May 25, 2010 1:50 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Post Re: What am I?
Wha...?

Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm
Upwardly Mobile

In the picture I see the Space Shuttle. (The NASA space shuttle is 1970s technology for putting people into space. The shuttle system is made up of four components (orbiter, two boosters, and fuel tank) of which only the orbiter is completely reusable. The boosters are semi-reusable and the fuel tank is destroyed while in use. It costs $500 million dollars per flight to run the space shuttle. May be replaced in the future by various RLV designs.)
In the riddle, I'm not so sure. Are you talking about the aircraft itself?

Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Stahrwe, you do realize that the new addition to your signature is detrimental to the very nature of your belief structure? Are you really delusional enough to think that that quote applies to you, you who are so blinded by faith and belief that you can't even accept tangible evidence that you yourself can see?

That quote is exactly the opposite of what you have demonstrated yourself to be. That quote is aimed to be against people like you, not in favor of. How you can't see that is beyond all reason.

Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

It looks like a paper airplane is attached to this picture. Part of it looks like a feather. Is this a riddle? I'm guessing a feather. Or, maybe a paper airplane?

"The search for knowledge and understanding of the physical universe and of living things that inhabit it should be conducted under conditions of intellectual freedom, without religious, political, or ideological restrictions. That freedom of inquiry and dissemination of ideas require that those so engaged should be free to search where their inquiry leads, without political censorship and without fear of retribution and consequence of unpopularity of their conclusions. Those who challenge existing theory must be protected from retaliatory reactions." National Academy of Science Resolution of April of 1976

I like this, nice addition stah. :)

Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Diamond Contributor

NY152 wrote:
In the picture I see the Space Shuttle. (The NASA space shuttle is 1970s technology for putting people into space. The shuttle system is made up of four components (orbiter, two boosters, and fuel tank) of which only the orbiter is completely reusable. The boosters are semi-reusable and the fuel tank is destroyed while in use. It costs $500 million dollars per flight to run the space shuttle. May be replaced in the future by various RLV designs.)

I am referring to the space craft touching down after returning from space on its maiden flight.

Hint: It is not: Enterprise, Columbia, Endeavor, Challenger, Atlantis, or Discovery.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

Suzanne wrote:
It looks like a paper airplane is attached to this picture. Part of it looks like a feather. Is this a riddle? I'm guessing a feather. Or, maybe a paper airplane?

"The search for knowledge and understanding of the physical universe and of living things that inhabit it should be conducted under conditions of intellectual freedom, without religious, political, or ideological restrictions. That freedom of inquiry and dissemination of ideas require that those so engaged should be free to search where their inquiry leads, without political censorship and without fear of retribution and consequence of unpopularity of their conclusions. Those who challenge existing theory must be protected from retaliatory reactions." National Academy of Science Resolution of April of 1976

I like this, nice addition stah. :)

This is a more of a puzzle than a riddle. There are no paper airplanes or feathers in the picture. Everything you see is real, as it happened, undoctored but your assumptions will likely cause you not to be able to figure out, 'What am I'.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:18 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

bleachededen wrote:
Stahrwe, you do realize that the new addition to your signature is detrimental to the very nature of your belief structure? Are you really delusional enough to think that that quote applies to you, you who are so blinded by faith and belief that you can't even accept tangible evidence that you yourself can see?

That quote is exactly the opposite of what you have demonstrated yourself to be. That quote is aimed to be against people like you, not in favor of. How you can't see that is beyond all reason.

I disagree. In another post I included sworn testimony from a major scientist, an expert witness in McLean v. Arkansas against the teaching of Creationism in schools. In the sworn testimony, Dr. G. Brent Dalrymple testified that in preparing for his testimony he studied a number of creationists and their theories. The odd thing was that while he testified that he was aware of R. Gentry's theory and an observation he had reported which according to another expert witness could devastate the entire science of the age of the earth, he had not studied Dr. Gentry's theory. In the subsequent testimony, it became clear that the mainstream scientists are aware of Gentry's theory, of its implication, and a suggested experiment to investigate it further. Dr. Dalrymple testified, under oath, that R. Gentry is a credible scientist, that his theory has merit but that he did not include Gentry in his study because he 'didn't have time'. There is a lot of info on the web about Gentry, both pro and con. However, the fact that there is information, taken in a major lawsuit, under oath, distinguishes that information from the general noise of amateur scientists and the 'buy an expert to support your position' that is so prevalent.

This is off topic, but since you posed the question I answered.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

NY152 wrote:

What you see in the picture is not what you think you see.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Stahrwe, Gentry's search for understanding of the physical universe was NOT done under ideological freedom. He is motivated by his beliefs to come to certain conclusions and has been shown to be wrong.

Regarding Gentry and Polonium

Regarding Gentry and Redshift

Wed May 26, 2010 10:04 am

Diamond Contributor

Interbane wrote:
Stahrwe, Gentry's search for understanding of the physical universe was NOT done under ideological freedom. He is motivated by his beliefs to come to certain conclusions and has been shown to be wrong.

Regarding Gentry and Polonium

Regarding Gentry and Redshift

I will respond in the Young Earth discussion tat started as this is off topic here.

On topic, why don't you venture a guess? The answer is not beyond the ability of the average person to discover.

Last edited by stahrwe on Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 26, 2010 10:28 am
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

I'm not seeing it. I don't really even get what I'm looking for.

Wed May 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Diamond Contributor

Here's another picture of me.
Attachment:
B2.jpg
B2.jpg [ 164.13 KiB | Viewed 2402 times ]

Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

And another....

Attachments:
burnhumanity.jpg
burnhumanity.jpg [ 32.01 KiB | Viewed 2398 times ]

Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

delete that post 2... wtf... I'm sorry stahrwe.

Wed May 26, 2010 3:04 pm
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next