• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Western Values

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Western Values

Unread post

Badmendicant said, "A chimp posseses a genetic structure which is 95% identical to humans. Does this mean that there is difference between human beings and monkeys?"I just thought I'd point out that chimpanzees are not monkeys. Chimps are apes. Chimps are actually more closely related to humans than any monkey. This constant confusion annoys me. I am not annoyed with you, badmendicant, as hollywood and the media have been calling chimps monkeys for awhile. I have posted on this subject before. I just couldn't stop myself from interjecting here. This is just a FYI post.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Yeah, I'd say that's stoic, but I'd make a distinction between stoicism in its kernel form (which is the doctrine that emotions should be kept at bay) and capital letter, fully elaborated Stoicism, which tends towards a total or almost total negation of free will.
pctacitus

Unread post

I'd side with the former over the latter. Doug Larson: "The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to admitting it."

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”