• In total there are 29 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Were the Crusades really bad?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: Were the Crusades really bad?

Unread post

Yet out of this mixing pot of motivations I can't see how someone could claim they were justified.
No argument from me on this point, What I eluded to was that many people of the time of the crusades found justifications for their cause.
do you think the ISIL excuse is manufactured post hoc,
If post hoc means did they start with religion as their motivation for current events, then I would also agree in principle that their idea of Islam plays a strong part in motivation, but they are an isolated group, large in numbers for sure, but isolated none the less. I'm convinced that if religion was removed as motivation, the turmoil happening there would still be dangerous, poverty and ignorance still remain as mitigating factors, we don't control parallel histories, so its rather difficult to determine what life would be like now, so we just figure out how to deal with a past religious reality.

The trouble over there has to much historical depth, to fix the dominant religions we would have to accomplish the impossible, meaning time travel and other such fantasies.

Return to “Current Events & History”