• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Water Found on one of Saturn's Moons

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
fyvel

Water Found on one of Saturn's Moons

Unread post

Quote:(CNN) -- The Cassini space probe has found evidence of geysers erupting from underground pools of liquid water on Saturn's moon Enceladus, scientists announced on Thursday.High-definition pictures beamed back from the probe showed huge plumes of ice coming from the moon's south pole."We're inferring that there is a liquid water reservoir under the surface and it's erupting in a geyser-like fashion, maybe like the Yellowstone geysers you would see," said Linda Spilker, Cassini Deputy Project Scientist.Spilker said it was very surprising to see this much activity on such a small, cold moon. The average temperature at Enceladus' south pole is minus 307 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 188 Celsius) -- that's a little warmer than the moon's equator, which was minus 316 Fahrenheit (minus 193 Celsius).She said that the water was likely kept at the relatively warm temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit (zero Celsius) by tidal or radioactive forces. It freezes instantly as it escapes vents in the surface."At first we thought it might be like an ice volcano, with little ice particles coming out. And then, as the analysis continued, we looked at the amount of material coming out ... there had to be more of a pressure source underneath," she said.Water might be an indication that life could exist on Enceladus. But Spilker was not ready to suggest life existed there.Full StoryDo you think it's possible that we may find life here?? All VegetarianThis is boring!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Water Found on one of Saturn's Moons

Unread post

Well...the contention has been pretty much that if there is water, there is a chance of life. We will have to wait and see I guess.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
fyvel

Unread post

Yes, with water there is the possibility of life. But in order for there to be life similar to that on earth (and who says it must take that form), there is more than just simply water required. Does this moon get enough sunlight to fuel life or is there some other energy source available that would fuel life?Also, what would do you think the ramifications would be if life was found on another planet? Would there be any religious implications? (what would creationists think?) -- or should I take that question to the proper forum? All VegetarianThis is boring!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Of course there are other conditions...but I thought I read somewhere that certain bacteria can thrive in frozen conditions...so minimal sunlight may be ok. I hope there is something!Of COURSE there would be religious ramifications...but I think we have enough evidence that we can guess what would happen. Those who thought life in earth was unique would backpeddal and find a way to fit it in. It would be an act of god, of course! Silly.To me, it would just be another nail in the coffin for a literal belief in the Catholic/Christian/Jesus based religion. But that wont stop em...I mean look how wrong they have been about everything else!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
fyvel

Unread post

Quote:Of course there are other conditions...but I thought I read somewhere that certain bacteria can thrive in frozen conditions...so minimal sunlight may be ok. I hope there is something!Bacteria can thrive anywhere! (well, here on earth at least). Bacteria are found in some of the most hostile conditions. Not all bacteria need sunlight as a source of energy. Some bacteria around deep sea thermal vents use sulfur as an energy source instead of light. All VegetarianThis is boring!
ADO15

Unread post

Wow. _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Massive Poster
United States of America

Unread post

Amazing! Europa is another moon of Saturn that may contain vast oceans of water. Unfortunately they are under about 6 kilometers of ice, so we won't know for a loooooong time... Lake Vostok in Antarctica could be good practice for exploring these moons if we can figure out how to examine Vostok without contaminating it.
fyvel

Unread post

Isn't Europa a moon of Jupiter's not Saturn's?? Reagradless, it's a bit of a moot point give the topic of discussion Thanks for that link - it's very interesting All VegetarianThis is boring!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Massive Poster
United States of America

Proximity

Unread post

Oopps, yes Jupiter. So Europa is much closer than Enceladus, but not a close as Lake Vostok.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Proximity

Unread post

LanDroidHave we ever succeeded in penetrating the ice of Lake Vostok? Last I heard we were going to try to bore down to take water samples or maybe even send an underwater camera propelled by robot to explore the lake below.I agree that this seems a wise first step.

Return to “Science & Technology”