• In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Book cover designs

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Tripread
Official Newbie!
India

Book cover designs

Unread post

Hey! Have you ever been surprised by a book’s content because it was different from what you expected based on the cover?Have you ever come across a book with a misleading cover, where the design didn’t accurately represent the story? If yes, please share your experience. :) : :thanks2:
Cvasti
Getting Comfortable
United States of America

Re: Book cover designs

Unread post

John Green has a book with a bad book cover and yet it's John Green;
lexirexic
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

Camus The Stranger... The paperback cover with a bunch of people in tall striped hats and white makeup. And on the back is 1 person who's sideways.

I mean, yeah, obviously 1 person is "strange" and doesn't fit in, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Seems more like the publisher's attempt to be psychedelic rather than anything specific to the book. I always hated that cover!
Kina2
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I much prefer hardcover books :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

lexirexic wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:54 pm I always hated that cover!
And now I do too! What a hideous book cover. :lol:
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
sunlitattic
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

Well, I am digressing a bit here, but the old adage runs true when applied literally: "do not judge a book by its cover!" One major issue nowadays is that book covers are increasingly moving away from the artistic endeavor to a marketing one. This is especially the case in the self-publishing industry where indie authors do not make millions to allow for artistic license blunders. Instead they fall for the mirage of marketing with its emphasis on selling. In other words, the main factor in cover design has become how to make people buy the book instead of how it harmoniously reflects the content. With the preponderance of the cheap eBooks market that keeps encouraging lower prices and free promo, I know of some people who get books just because of the cover. If the content wasn't what they expected, they don't care because it only cost them $0.99...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

sunlitattic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:36 pm In other words, the main factor in cover design has become how to make people buy the book instead of how it harmoniously reflects the content.
You're probably right about this. But if I were an author I'd have to do the same thing. Ultimately, most authors want their books to be read by the widest audience possible, so focusing on a cover design that helps sell books makes sense. Everyone is an author these days. With self-publishing and eBooks, the competition for readers has never been more fierce, so authors have to utilize every technique they can to promote their books.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “Everything Else”