• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

book recommendation request

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
luisdent
Official Newbie!

book recommendation request

Unread post

I was wondering if someone could help me find a book based on some criteria?

I just finished harry potter... absolutely loved them all. I want to read something similar in how the books "felt." What I mean is that the characters felt very likeable, the story moved at a decent pace, there was always something interesting going on, the writing was detailed enough but not overly descriptive as to slow down the pace. The overall story and "world" was complex enough to be intriguing without having so many characters that you get confused or that server no real purpose, and the various places and themes were discussed throughout the books in a way that they become familiar and intimate.

There are other books I feel shared similar aspects, such as the first few sword of truth books. Some of the wheel of time felt similar, but both of those series are ridiculously long, venture into overly descriptive entire sections of books that become tiresome to read, and lack the pacing and intrigue of HP. I've ready most of the lord of the rings, and it also has some "force yourself to read it" sections. Not nearly as bad as WOT, and I love LOTR, but still. I'm just looking for something fun to read that is also very interesting.

Some of my favorite books of all time are Jane Eyre, Sherlock Holmes, Dan Brown novels, Walden, Dracula, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, Sphere, Mitch Albom novels... You can see I'm not partial to any one genre, but I do like fantasy atmosphere and medieval/victorian/etc. But I want something that is as enjoyable and smooth of a read as HP.

I just started the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and it's OK, but it just doesn't make me want to keep reading after a while of trying. One other thing I don't want to do is start a series of books that isn't finished. I have no desire to hang on while new books are released.

So my main criteria would be:
- Fun, easy read (I'm not against long or sophisticated writing as long as it doesn't feel like work instead of fun)
- Awesome atmosphere (cozy candlelit castles, tiny cottages, beautiful secluded forest hideouts.. whatever, just nice atmosphere)
- Not an unfinished series
- Lovable characters
- Interesting plot with a good ending

I've seen so many magic/fantasy recommendations for people who liked Harry Potter, but frankly I'm turned off by almost all of them. I can't stand things I consider "cheesy". Harry Potter would almost come across as cheesy, but she managed to make the world charming and funny instead while still being serious when needed. I prefer serious/realistic, but lightheartedness isn't a bad thing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. It's so hard to know what to look for that I just figured maybe someone in a similar situation has experience with books that might fit my desires...
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: book recommendation request

Unread post

I don't know if any books could fulfill all of your requirements. Why don't you try Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series, one of the most astonishing in science fiction. The first one explains the movie 2001. The last one 3001 is something like the TV show Futurama. I thought there were only 3 books in the series, will have to check the one I missed...

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Arthur- ... 101&sr=1-5
luisdent
Official Newbie!

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:41 am I don't know if any books could fulfill all of your requirements. Why don't you try Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series, one of the most astonishing in science fiction. The first one explains the movie 2001. The last one 3001 is something like the TV show Futurama. I thought there were only 3 books in the series, will have to check the one I missed...

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Arthur- ... 101&sr=1-5
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually read that series as well as rendezvous with rama, which i loved.... :)
Cchancellor7993
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Can anyone point me in the right direction for help finding a book
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Cchancellor7993 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 am Can anyone point me in the right direction for help finding a book
No, we cannot help you, unless you give us some more info.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

luisdent wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:15 am I was wondering if someone could help me find a book based on some criteria?

I just finished harry potter... absolutely loved them all. I want to read something similar in how the books "felt." What I mean is that the characters felt very likeable, the story moved at a decent pace, there was always something interesting going on, the writing was detailed enough but not overly descriptive as to slow down the pace. The overall story and "world" was complex enough to be intriguing without having so many characters that you get confused or that server no real purpose, and the various places and themes were discussed throughout the books in a way that they become familiar and intimate.

There are other books I feel shared similar aspects, such as the first few sword of truth books. Some of the wheel of time felt similar, but both of those series are ridiculously long, venture into overly descriptive entire sections of books that become tiresome to read, and lack the pacing and intrigue of HP. I've ready most of the lord of the rings, and it also has some "force yourself to read it" sections. Not nearly as bad as WOT, and I love LOTR, but still. I'm just looking for something fun to read that is also very interesting.

Some of my favorite books of all time are Jane Eyre, Sherlock Holmes, Dan Brown novels, Walden, Dracula, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, Sphere, Mitch Albom novels... You can see I'm not partial to any one genre, but I do like fantasy atmosphere and medieval/victorian/etc. But I want something that is as enjoyable and smooth of a read as HP.

I just started the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and it's OK, but it just doesn't make me want to keep reading after a while of trying. One other thing I don't want to do is start a series of books that isn't finished. I have no desire to hang on while new books are released.

So my main criteria would be:
- Fun, easy read (I'm not against long or sophisticated writing as long as it doesn't feel like work instead of fun)
- Awesome atmosphere (cozy candlelit castles, tiny cottages, beautiful secluded forest hideouts.. whatever, just nice atmosphere)
- Not an unfinished series
- Lovable characters
- Interesting plot with a good ending

I've seen so many magic/fantasy recommendations for people who liked Harry Potter, but frankly I'm turned off by almost all of them. I can't stand things I consider "cheesy". Harry Potter would almost come across as cheesy, but she managed to make the world charming and funny instead while still being serious when needed. I prefer serious/realistic, but lightheartedness isn't a bad thing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. It's so hard to know what to look for that I just figured maybe someone in a similar situation has experience with books that might fit my desires...
Perhaps try The Cyberiad. And, if you haven't read them yet, Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”