• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

WANTED: April - June 2022 NON-FICTION suggestions!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

WANTED: April - June 2022 NON-FICTION suggestions!

Unread post

Please tell us what non-fiction book or books you think we should read and discuss as a community in April, May, and June 2022 (Q2 for our resident economist). Provide a link to where we can learn more about your book suggestion. To really sell it, add a few words about why you're suggesting the book. Feel free to comment on other people's suggestions; if you like a suggestion please say so, and if you find a suggestion not to be enticing it is also OK to say so. Feedback makes this process work.

Note: We are considering having two non-fiction book discussions for Q2 2022. Perhaps one lighter & one heavier, or on widely different topics like hard science Vs. memoir or biography.

A poll will be created based on your input. BookTalk is an Autocracy based on Democracy. :-D
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: WANTED: April - June 2022 NON-FICTION suggestions!

Unread post

I'm not sure we have enough interest in a book discussion. But LanDroid mentioned David French in another thread and this book caught my eye.

Divided We Fall
America's Secession Threat and How to Restore Our Nation
Author: David French

https://us.macmillan.com/books/97812502 ... idedwefall

David French warns of the potential dangers to the country—and the world—if we don’t summon the courage to reconcile our political differences.

Two decades into the 21st Century, the U.S. is less united than at any time in our history since the Civil War. We are more diverse in our beliefs and culture than ever before. But red and blue states, secular and religious groups, liberal and conservative idealists, and Republican and Democratic representatives all have one thing in common: each believes their distinct cultures and liberties are being threatened by an escalating violent opposition. This polarized tribalism, espoused by the loudest, angriest fringe extremists on both the left and the right, dismisses dialogue as appeasement; if left unchecked, it could very well lead to secession.

An engaging mix of cutting edge research and fair-minded analysis, Divided We Fall is an unblinking look at the true dimensions and dangers of this widening ideological gap, and what could happen if we don't take steps toward bridging it. French reveals chilling, plausible scenarios of how the United States could fracture into regions that will not only weaken the country but destabilize the world.

But our future is not written in stone. By implementing James Madison’s vision of pluralism—that all people have the right to form communities representing their personal values—we can prevent oppressive factions from seizing absolute power and instead maintain everyone’s beliefs and identities across all fifty states.

Reestablishing national unity will require the bravery to commit ourselves to embracing qualities of kindness, decency, and grace towards those we disagree with ideologically. French calls on all of us to demonstrate true tolerance so we can heal the American divide. If we want to remain united, we must learn to stand together again.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Geo, Dived We Fall seems like a really good choice. Can someone drag Robert Tulip into this discussion? We need to get a few more people involved in the books election process so we can pick a book that will generate some quality discussion.

Here's the book on Amazon where there are many format choices such as audio book via Audible.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Divided-We-Fall- ... 0876HM7GT/
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. Emperor of Rome 121-180 CE. Founder of the Stoic philosophy. I don't know much about it, but have found a fair number of people still follow the Stoic philosophy. I have seen random quotes that seem quite wise. This version sounds like a fresh translation rather than a King James style of discourse.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:04 pm Geo, Divided We Fall seems like a really good choice. Can someone drag Robert Tulip into this discussion? We need to get a few more people involved in the books election process so we can pick a book that will generate some quality discussion.

Here's the book on Amazon where there are many format choices such as audio book via Audible.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Divided-We-Fall- ... 0876HM7GT/
Watching US politics, the partisan political tribal polarisation just seems to be steadily growing. The nation seems to be at risk of a new civil war between red and blue states. That is something that is dangerous for the whole world, not just for America. I would be interested to read Divided We Fall. The Ukraine war is reminding everyone of how conflict causes all sorts of unforeseen damage. Putin seemed to imagine Ukraine would just give up. Allowing conflict to emerge through secession of states from the USA would take people's attention away from things that are important and constructive and instead make everyone focus on war - the negative impacts of inability to engage in courteous dialogue.

I would like to read this book.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Shall we go with, Divided We Fall?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

I s'pose so, it doesn't appear we currently have enough energy to generate a poll.
As I recall David French is a strong conservative generally but is also against Trump. He will probably anger both sides. :x
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Here is French's regular column for The Dispatch https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/

His wikipedia page is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fre ... mmentator)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm I s'pose so, it doesn't appear we currently have enough energy to generate a poll.
As I recall David French is a strong conservative generally but is also against Trump. He will probably anger both sides. :x
I've started reading and hope others will join in.

I consider myself a moderate conservative (although I took a questionnaire once and it pegged me as moderate liberal). Regardless, I lament the current state of the GOP. And maybe that's why it's reassuring to read conservatives who are still sane. George Will falls in this category, and perhaps so does French .

I read the first chapter and French does seem to be more tolerant than me about what goes on in the GOP. In his effort to move past the noise, I think tries to strike a balanced approach. He says, the point of this book is "not to adjudicate the competing narratives of left and right. French instead wants to "rediscover a sense of shared community and shared citizenship" of both sides. He warns that it might be too late.

Hopefully we can get a few people along for the ride. Thanks, Robert, for posting those articles!
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”