• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

One Moment

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

One Moment

Unread post

Recently, while thinking random thoughts, I recalled some lines from Geothe's "Faust (First Part)." I cound not remember them as originally written, but could not get theme out of my head. :hmm:
After some research, i found what I was looking for, but it just did not sound right. So, being inspired and in a creative mood, I penned the following. I submit it for your enjoyment or criticism:
One Moment:

If at one moment I could see,
All people, upon free soil, standing free,
No man enslaved, no woman oppressed,
All children well fed and warmly dressed,
Then to such moment would I say
On wonderous moment, stay, stay, stay.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
BWM
Almost Comfortable

Re: One Moment

Unread post

I like it, the second line could use some work. I've read all Goethe's poems, a few of them are great favorites of mine. But Goethe's Faust is a bit dreary and long for my liking, but if this is the sentiment you got from it, then maybe I should give it another look.
Microsofts worst nightmare: More Linux and TOR, less marketing and advertising.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

That's a great moment, Cattleman. I used to think history was arcing towards that goal. Then I hoped that it might be doing so. Now the lust for power has dashed that possibility.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

BWM, thanks for your suggestion. Any ideas on how I could improve it?

LanDroid, I fear you are right.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
BWM
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

It's not bad as it is, but using the word free twice in the same sentence; obviously a compromise. If it was mine and I wanted to improve it, I would run that line through my head every night, and eventually it will come. There's nothing like that feeling when you wake up, and the words just pop into your head. And you have to jump out of bed and write them down, afraid you'll forget.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Actually, I changed that line the least from Goethe's original (Remember though, I was working from a translation; despite a German-Swiss background on my mother's side, I do not speak German). The original lines, as translated, are as follows:

"If the whole world I once could see
On free soild stand, with the people free
Then to the moment might I say,
Linger awhile, so fair thou art."

BWM
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

So Goethe himself used free twice there, sorry I thought you were inspired by Goethe's play to write that yourself. You say it's Part one, but which scene? I'll see if the version I'm reading is translated the same.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I was inspired by Goethe, but freely admit my poem is adapted from his work. BTW, the line about the children is taken from a work-in-progree of mine, hopefully soon to be novella.

I have not read the entire Faust, so cannot give you any help on exactly where these lines occur.
Last edited by Cattleman on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:That's a great moment, Cattleman. I used to think history was arcing towards that goal. Then I hoped that it might be doing so. Now the lust for power has dashed that possibility.
An acquaintance from high school posted on Facebook, "To truly be peaceful, you must be capable of great violence. Otherwise you are just harmless." He is entranced by militaristic sci-fi, has been in the military his whole career, and generally is a curious mix of thoughtful and obsessed with being macho. I found myself wondering to whom would it be important to be "capable of great violence."

Recent work by Edsall in the NYT has noted that much of the Trump wing feels today's culture, especially academic culture, is not tough enough, not masculine enough. And it seems to me to be echoing my friend's post (he is anti-Trump, FWIW).

How much of this masculine angst is due to a lack of other sense of purpose, I wonder? Men who can see themselves as doing something important by being willing to fight for our country, but who don't see giving purpose to children or striving for access to security and prosperity for all as a worthy purpose for themselves. Judge themselves as not masculine enough if they are not out-doing someone else or proving their toughness. Or maneuvering for advantage to make boodles of money.
BWM
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Posting something like that on FB would be a massive red flag for me, I would steer well clear if I was only an acquaintance, possibly Bi-polar. If it was a close friend or relative we'd be having words about a post like that though. As far as men like Trump go, that's you're classic bully; all front, picks on women a lot and men he knows aren't gunna be a physical threat to him. I refer to that GOT quote: If you have to keep telling everybody you're the king, then you're not really the king.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”