Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character? 
Official Newbie!

Post What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?
The only older novels like this I already know of is Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky and also Catcher in the Rye. The only one I can think of that would be recent is Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. I would think that existentialist literature would be filled with this kind of material. But for the purposes of this post I would like the novels that I end up picking to preferably meet all three qualities in the main character; loneliness, isolation, alienation. Thanks.

The following user would like to thank evangelist884 for this post:
Robert Tulip
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Post Re: What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?
evangelist884 wrote:
The only older novels like this I already know of is Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky and also Catcher in the Rye. The only one I can think of that would be recent is Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. I would think that existentialist literature would be filled with this kind of material. But for the purposes of this post I would like the novels that I end up picking to preferably meet all three qualities in the main character; loneliness, isolation, alienation. Thanks.

Interesting question.The Scarlet Letter comes to mind immediately. So does Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Actually many classic ghost stories seem to center around these three themes: loneliness, isolation, and alienation, including, for example, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. More recent novels include Stephen King's Bag of Bones, which features a protagonist who is trying to come to terms with his wife's death. The first third of the book focuses almost exclusively on this period of bereavement, lasting several years. For all that, The Shining, is all about loneliness and isolation. And finally, I'm reminded of Ursula le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness, which is about an ambassador who is sent to a remote and very cold planet to try to convince the ambisexual (no fixed gender) people to join a sort of confederation of planets. The main character is very much out of his element and must endure plenty of hardships on his journey.

Edit: Oh, and Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:28 pm
Official Newbie!

Post Re: What are some novels that depict loneliness, social isolation and alienation in the main character?
I'm kinda interested in novels that are dirty and gritty and more focused on the main character's thoughts/feelings, etc. Less focus on plot elements, and the author doesn't shy away from being graphic about the characters. Hopefully that makes sense.

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four definitely fits this bill. Winston Smith, as the 'everyman' named after Churchill, represents the rational moral individual failing to cope with a social dystopia, in an existential crisis where he is unable to express his authentic identity due to the shallow intolerant anonymity of prevailing cultural values.

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membership
Junior

Absolutely, 1984. the book is ABOUT loneliness, social isolation and alienation.

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

For me, Albert Camus' 'The Fall' will definitely top as an answer.
Also, Kafka's classic Metamorphosis because the metaphor of somebody turning into a bug upon suddenly waking up one day and the accompanying isolation and helplessness is truly about the themes that your questions address.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

thank you ellissa and geo for your feedback. i will look into the Camus novel. Im somewhat familiar with but havent yet read 1984 and Metamorphosis. I'm sure they're worth reading but at the moment I'm interested in novels that explore the themes I mentioned, but also in a certain way that's difficult for me to put in to words. Anyway, thanks for your feedback everyone :)

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

Levin in Anna Karenina is depicted as a lonely character who spends a great deal of his time alone thinking and rethinking about the purpose of his existence until he can't decide and is forever plagued with doubts.

I just finished writing King of the Bullies, which is based largely on real events, on outrageous endless financial persecution, on fanatical aggressive surveillance that allows no privacy, on a FBI-connected man who turns into a full-blown psycho.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.