Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What are you reading these days? 
Years of membership
Gaining experience

Post Re: What are you reading these days?
The Diamond of Dury Lane, Its a teenage book I found in the libary and is about a masqurade girl who lives in a opera and meets some people along the way =) I stopped reaing James Patterson coz it was waay to gory and detailed in a bad way so I went to the libary and found that book..nice

https://yellowducky2018.blogspot.com

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:56 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Inception and Philosophy: Because it's never just a dream

https://www.amazon.com/Inception-Philos ... B0062LNQFM

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:04 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

A Liberated Mind: How to Pivot Towards What Matters by Steven Hayes (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)

Next one to read might be A Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs

Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm
Getting Comfortable

I am currently reading two books

1. Willpower doesn't work by Benjamin Hardy.

2. Guns, Germs, and steel by Jared Diamond.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Fool

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

:welcome:
Welcome topazann.

You might enjoy checking out the BookTalk discussion of Guns, Germs, and Steel from a loooong time ago.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:41 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has memorized The Illiad

Just finished reading Tau Zero, a science fiction novel by the late Poul Anderson (written in 1970). Hard Sci-Fi, with lots of discussion of time dilation, and near-light speed, :? :hmm: plus plenty of character development. :up: Warning: Some of the chapters will take a bit of time to digest. :hmm:

Next on my list: The Three-Cornered War (subtitled The Union, The Confederacy, and Native Peoples in the Fight for the West) by Megan Kate Nelson. This author is not known to me. The book was recommended, and loaned, to me by a neighbor. I will probably update you on my thoughts when I am finished (or at least well into) it.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Harry Marks
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

War and Peace by Tolstoy - Amazing battle scenes, characters that really grow on you, the classic questions of man's existence are tackled throughout--HIGHLY recommended read.

The Eternal Husband by Dostoevsky - Considered by some critics as one of the more cogent and economical short masterpieces of this author. I'm a 1/3 of the way in and the story is setting up nicely with the two tortured characters. It promises to be a desperate tale of sad events--PERFECT!
;-)

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:03 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nutty for Books

LanDroid wrote:
You might enjoy checking out the BookTalk discussion of Guns, Germs, and Steel from a loooong time ago.

Jared Diamond has a new book out last year, "Upheaval". It looks interesting, though more about history and politics than his former anthropology and geography works. I hope to read it before too many months go by, but Haidt is top of the list for now.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

I’m reading „A new earth“ by Eckhart Tolle - a really good Book!

https://www.davidwilliam.net

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I've been reading this book by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch called "The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington" and it is really fascinating. I normally don't read nonfiction, but this book has been so intriguing and fun to read. I highly, highly recommend this book to literally anyone!

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

msignorotti wrote:
I've been reading this book by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch called "The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington" and it is really fascinating. I normally don't read nonfiction, but this book has been so intriguing and fun to read. I highly, highly recommend this book to literally anyone!

You probably like "Heritage of Stone" by Jim Garrison as well. Garrison's District Attorney office was one of the few independent investigations of the JFK assassination. The book reveals some amazing things about Oswald's time spent in New Orleans in the months leading up to his move to Dallas.

https://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Stone-J ... 0399103988

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:09 am
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

Just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgernstern and it was phenomenal. I had a couple I read before this one, but did not enjoy them all that much. I would highly recommend checking it out if you’re looking for something new.

Sun May 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

I like reference books and lately I've been reading from one called The Encyclopedia of Plague and Pestilence, by George Kohn. Fascinating entries. Well worth having if you ever come across a copy.

Tue May 26, 2020 9:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has memorized The Illiad

Right now I am looking for a good book to read. While I will read almost anything I would like to have a recommendation in general fiction, of possible something in the history vein in non-fiction. Any suggestions?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

There's a novel called Ivory by Mike Resnick that I enjoyed. Read it years ago and liked it so much I read it twice. Saw a copy the other day and should have picked it up.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1823535.Ivory

And there's Harry Turtledove. He was a trailblazer in "alternate history." Wrote (still is writing I guess) "what if" novels about the Civil War, the Roman Empire, WW2 and so on. I know people who are addicted to his stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove

The following user would like to thank KindaSkolarly for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:08 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 5.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next