Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Should Donald Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize? 

Poll runs till Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 pm
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 6

Years of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Post Should Donald Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
From CNN, two days ago:

Trump deserves Nobel for role in talks with North, South Korea's leader says

(CNN) South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday that US President Donald Trump would be a worthy winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for his involvement in the warming of relations with North Korea.

A former South Korean President, Kim Dae-jung, won the prize in 2000 for his role in setting up a previous summit with North Korea, and his widow suggested Monday that Moon should also get the award.

Moon demurred in response, saying the US President ought to get it instead. "President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. The only thing we need is peace," Moon said during a Cabinet meeting on Monday, according to the Blue House, the South Korean presidential office.

cnn.com/2018/04/30/asia/south-korea-tru ... index.html

EDIT: I just went back and enabled the feature that allows you to change your vote. Trump can change things in the blink of a tweet, so it's only fair that we should also be able to change. And I think I've set the poll to expire at about the time the award is announced.

The following user would like to thank KindaSkolarly for this post:
froglipz
Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Highscores: 6

Post Re: Should Donald Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
I'm afraid I don't follow the politics of this administration as thoroughly as I should, so I am not at all certain how much of this progress is actually progress and how much of it he is actually responsible for. I will be listening to the pundits and reading the articles for a few days until the next thing comes along.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

The following user would like to thank froglipz for this post:
Harry Marks, Murmur
Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Amaze Even Myself

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Based on where things stand at the moment: No. However, if these talks lead to peace / denuclearization and Trump is critical to that process, then he would deserve the Nobel. (Otherwise I expect it would be awarded only to the two leaders of North and South Korea. Or the whole thing could fall apart as with previous initiatives from NK.) But what if Trump also starts a war with Iran, Syria, or elsewhere? That prize would have to be rescinded.

Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 am
Years of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

I have to vote No on this. Trump has killed since becoming president. He may have had sound reasons for killing but still, I have to vote no. And then there's the war cabinet he's assembling for Iran...

But he should be credited for breaking the stalemate on the Korean situation. From what I've read, he 1) insisted on REAL sanctions instead of just lip-service sanctions. He went head-to-head with China over this, and they blinked. NK suffered the loss of supplies even from China. Trump also 2) threatened to annihilate NK. Kim Jong-un seems to have taken him seriously because 3) Trump doubled down on war games that the US and allies were conducting in and around South Korea a few months ago. Kim finally snapped. He asked if he and his family would be spared during regime change. And then the flow of good news began.

In my opinion NK was finally faced with a US president who might actually carry through with regime change. Trump should be credited with a major international success if this works out, but no Peace Prize. I also think that Obama's Peace Prize should be rescinded. Didn't Jimmy Carter serve his entire term without involving the US in armed conflicts? Give him Obama's prize.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

It's silly in the first place that a peace prize is given every year, regardless of whether a major achievement in advancing peace has really occurred. I'd favor abolishing the whole thing anyway, to avoid absurd situations like Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, the 1991 winner, participating in the Rohingya genocide.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Sat May 12, 2018 5:48 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Quantity AND Quality

Makes sense. Let's give Donald a peace prize for not starting a war yet. For not having done really much of anything yet except running his big mouth and getting himself in unnecessary trouble. Well, he has one big accomplishment: He's broken up a record number of families. Give him credit for that one, folks--he earned it.

Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.