• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

For Further Discussion

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

For Further Discussion

Unread post

Please post random or not so random thoughts, quotes from the book, or even your INKLINGs while reading in this thread for further discussion.

thank you
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: For Further Discussion

Unread post

Oddly, I can see the factual basis to this particular contention.

"You, my poor fellow, are an anarchist deprived of the help of that law and organisation which is so essential to anarchy."
-Syme in chapter 2
tomrosemasters
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I really like your suggestion, and idea of this topic.
Therefore, here it is, a quote from the novel Death and the Dervish by Mesa Selimovic, a great philosophical, existentialist novel...

"I begin my story for nothing, without benefit for myself or anyone else, from a need stronger than benefit of reason. I must leave a record of myself, the chronicled anguish of my inner conversations, in the vague hope that a solution will be found when all accounts have been settles (if they may ever be), when I have left my trail of ink on this paper, which lies in front of me like a challenge."
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: For Homosexual undertones in TMWWT

Unread post

Is anyone else seeing this? Stahrwe is there any historical proof of this in Chesterton's background?
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Is anyone else seeing this? Stahrwe is there any historical proof of this in Chesterton's background?
I didn't catch any, but what gave you this impression? Stuff like that flies under my radar often.

I came to see the story being more about the stalemate between Gregory and Syme. I think Sunday was the embodiment of this stale mate being both the head anarchist and the man in the dark room. Sunday also reminded me of Judge Holden from Cormac McArthy's novel Blood Meridian. Granted Sunday is much less sinister but they are both the dancer and the fiddler.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Is anyone else seeing this? Stahrwe is there any historical proof of this in Chesterton's background?
Forgive me but I am unclear as to the exact question on the table. Please restate the question for which you are seeking historical backup.

thank you all for your interest.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Forgive me but I am unclear as to the exact question on the table. Please restate the question for which you are seeking historical backup.

thank you all for your interest.

The poem seemed to suggest a possible homosexual relationship between two young men, who then, possibly, gave in to the morals of the time and the church, and settled into traditional marriage. A Green Carnation is a symbol of homosexuality and wearing one was used as a flag to others. Oscar Wilde was known to use this as a signal. The line "They twisted even decent sin to shapes not to be named:" could mean that the moires of the time made homosexuality seem abnormal.

Just some thoughts and I wondered if anyone knew if there was any justification in GKC's life for this. Knowing that he was Catholic made me wonder if he was possibly homosexual and frustrated.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

There is no evidence or suggestion that Chesterton ever had a homosexual relationship with Bentley or anyone else. His reference to the 'green' carnation was a convenient poetic reference to Oscar Wilde's self created and adopted symbol. Sexuality was not obsessed about at that time as much as it is today.

If Chesterton had been homosexual I think he would have been very vocal about it. I say this because he did publish unpopular strong denouncements of the British government's propagation of the Boer War and he supported his brother during his trial for speaking out against government corruption associated with the Marconi scandal.

Finally, Chesterton denounced what he referred to as the 'Cult of Ganymede'.

Remember that the word 'gay' was in common usage as a reference to joy or happiness and was essentially devoid of the aspect of sexuality which it has today.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”