• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Emptiness of Theology

#8: May - June 2003 (Non-Fiction)
arcAngle

Re: The Emptiness of Theology

Unread post

Quote:For me, good art is not about how exact, accurate or beautiful a work is, but how perceptive it is to the human condition. Art is often social commentary, but too often, one's own aethetic ideal obscures the experience a piece is trying to communicate. Early in this century, artists rejected the conventions of exactitude in favor of more expressive (less naturalistic) methods of depiction. In order to more fully appreciate art beyond its 'beautiful' elements, you must first become sensitive to the language of form, structure, style and content that an artist uses to transcribe the experiences of living in the world. I find I somewhat disagree.On some levels, I do think you're right. In order to understand the beauty of an Italian poem, you must first understand the Italian language. Granted. And much can be lost in translation. However, when an artist is displaying his concept, it is that which is in the concept that speaks to, or resonates, within the one viewing that is the appreciation. I don't know if I've explained myself very well.Lynne

Return to “Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder - by Richard Dawkins”