• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Interview with Robert Burton

#53: Sept. - Oct. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Interview with Robert Burton

Unread post

Scientific American:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-certainty-bias

:pop: <= Certain

:hmm: <= Uncertain

:bananadance2: <= Dancin'
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Thanks for posting the link. I haven't been able to see the video of Burton advertised to the left due to technology problems. I read Burton's book and think I'm with him most of the way, though some subtleties escape me. It is remarkable how much value we place on someone else seeming certain--remember "phone a friend" on "So You Want to Be a Millionaire"? When we have no choice but to accept information or a proposed action from people, we naturally are reassured if they act certain, disturbed if they display less than full confidence. We hope their certainty has resulted from a rational review of the facts. Regarding politicians, there must be a difference between the scary certainty Burton speaks of and that cousin of certainty, decisiveness. I do want to see a hefty amount of the latter in a leader, I think.

Charisma perhaps consists largely of a person's seeming to be wholly committed to, and thus certain of, his ideas and beliefs. We should approach such people with caution.
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

Those folks have an ID

Unread post

My type cast for those folks is "often wrong but never in doubt." I can spot them a mile away and run in the opposite direction.

Return to “On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not - by Robert Burton”