• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 836 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

Preface

#53: Sept. - Oct. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Preface

Unread post

Sorry, I like to begin at the beginning. I'd just like to record my thoughts about his announced topics and see how he answers my questions and doubts in rest of the book.
1. He wants to claim that certainty, at all levels, from simple perceptions and memories to opinions about complex issues, has a "involuntary neurological roots" (xii). Is certainty at the complex level really that influenced by the unconscious? Why can't it be consciously chosen or strongly socially influenced?
2. Is certainty always a "problem" (ix) ? We speak approvingly of people who have the courage of their convictions, who act on those convictions.
3. When we study some matter, weigh the evidence, and make a decision, are we usually "convinced that there is no other reasonable answer (ix)? This does not seem to be true for me, and I can't think I am that unusual. So is that statement something of a straw man?
4. A patient with schizophrenia may make "wildly implausible" statements but swear to their truth. Most of us, I think, are not going to display this fanatical certainty about about our beliefs. Isn't this important, since Burton's topic is certainty?
5. Is he going to tell us about all the non-biological factors that can cause us to make declarations of certainty? How do we form biases?
It already sounds like it will be a very interesting book.
DWill
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Ok, DWill, now that you've finished the book, how did Burton do addressing each of your questions? Mind revisiting them and letting us know, in your opinion, how Burton did?

Saffron
ps Can you tell I finally started reading the book

Return to “On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not - by Robert Burton”