• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

A note on April flowers

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

A note on April flowers

Unread post

Flowers have a particularly high status in poetry. I don't know whether we need a theory to explain this. Anyway, I was fortunate to come across a trillium "avatar" in the gallery and am using it, as you can see. Around the end of this month, in a state preserve about 20 minutes from my house, the trillium (trillia?)begin to bloom, an estimated 6 million plants, the largest single colony known in the U.S., I'm told. It's an amazing sight. Anyone else have some favorite April or spring wildflowers?
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Virginia blue bells!
DWill: They are blooming right now along Castleman Rd, in your very own county. I had to laugh when I saw your new avatar -- I had it up for about 1/2 day a few weeks back; I just can't stay away from the poppies though.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Right, there are great sweeps of those along the river at this time. By June, even the foliage has disappeared, explaining why these are called ephemerals.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

A Red, Red Rose
by Robert Burns

O my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
O I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve,
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Me, I'm a hyacinth fan. I used to dream of them as a teen - even their smell. Sometimes, even in winter, I get a smell-echo of them, and it is always followed a wave of feeling - like I was swimming in yellow sound. Cool.

I also really like poppies and plain old daisies but they are more of a summer flower.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

MaryLupin wrote:Me, I'm a hyacinth fan. I used to dream of them as a teen - even their smell. Sometimes, even in winter, I get a smell-echo of them, and it is always followed a wave of feeling - like I was swimming in yellow sound. Cool.
I've never really liked the way hyacinths looked, but as a little girl I loved the way they smelled -- smelling them was like eating candy. Their fragrance was one of the things about Easter I looked forward to each year.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
MaryLupin wrote:Me, I'm a hyacinth fan. I used to dream of them as a teen - even their smell. Sometimes, even in winter, I get a smell-echo of them, and it is always followed a wave of feeling - like I was swimming in yellow sound. Cool.
I've never really liked the way hyacinths looked, but as a little girl I loved the way they smelled -- smelling them was like eating candy. Their fragrance was one of the things about Easter I looked forward to each year.
I'm not familiar with hyacinths as a wildflower. Do we have them down here in my area? I know about the vine called Hyacinth Bean, which is said to be Thos. Jefferson's favorite plant, growing all over his garden at Monticello. I like the botanical name, too, dolichos lab lab.

Whenever I visit Colorado in July, I'm struck by how impoverished we in the East are for wildflowers, by comparison.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

spring flowers

Unread post

I love the flowering trees. First, the cherry, then the crab apple, then the dogwood. One year all three bloomed at once, beautiful site, especially since I do not suffer from allergies!

My favorite spring flowers are the jumping and leaping ones. This year I have noticed that my daffidils are leaping into my tulips, and my tulips are jumping into my daffidils. I also have one lonely white tulip that has infiltrated the purple tulip colony. I didn't realize that tulips could be so mobile. I guess they have a mind of their own, smart flowers. Maybe I should be scared.

Suzanne
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: I'm not familiar with hyacinths as a wildflower. Do we have them down here in my area?
Who said anything about hyacinths being a wildflower? Colorado sounds lovely!
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: spring flowers

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I didn't realize that tulips could be so mobile. I guess they have a mind of their own, smart flowers. Maybe I should be scared.
:laugh: Maybe we should write a zombie movie but give it a new twist by making the zombie maker tulips instead of a virus. We could have sneaky tulips peering around a zombie's head as the flower has the zombie head off to new and fertile ground. All the resultant dead humans are only a side benefit.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”