• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Haiku

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
markwollacott
Official Newbie!

Haiku

Unread post

I thought I would share my passion for haiku. While living in Osaka for 5 years they were the small moments of reflection and peace in a chaotic and alien environment. There's something so simple about them and while my novels have few limitations, i actually find myself enjoying the fact that the haiku so limits my expression. I know there are many sticklers for tradition and strict adherents to the 5-7-5 rule, but i like the flexibility of modern English haiku and how they can be mixed with the senryu.

A couple of haiku from my debut haiku collection "108 Breaths."

Temple on a hill
Waiting in a New Year queue,
a bell tolls

Party in the park,
every man is a chef,
the smell of meat
"A doctor with no face, a corrupt cop, a secret organization, a Japanese immortal and a girl who can summon Gods," - Blank Jack
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Haiku

Unread post

いらしゃいます! Or よこそ! Welcome to BT, Mark. I share your love of Japanese literature (do you know Taichi Yamada?) and Medieval History. I'm in the Cotswolds usually once a year and know Cirencester well (impressive church!). Please continue with the Haiku.....I'm a huge fan and please look at the Passion for Poetry Forum
Last edited by oblivion on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
markwollacott
Official Newbie!

Re: Haiku

Unread post

Danke Oblivion,
I write some haiku for a monthly magazine in Cirencester. Ciren is my beautiful yet job-free hometown, but my first haiku collection is about Japan and my second will be darts related. I really ought to get out more, hike a bit and compose new haiku as I go for a Cirencester collection.

Next time you're in town, let me know.

Mark
"A doctor with no face, a corrupt cop, a secret organization, a Japanese immortal and a girl who can summon Gods," - Blank Jack

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”