• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The world's 'seven billionth baby', a girl called Nargis, has been born in #India,

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

The world's 'seven billionth baby', a girl called Nargis, has been born in #India,

Unread post

Under the headlines 'Dear kid, welcome to our mess' - The Guardian printed readers' letters of advice and words of wisdom to this baby.

This was my favourite:

I am your fellow citizen of this planet, from Iraq. We all share a common ancestor and we are all heading in the same direction. Always follow the evidence, be curious, be sceptical, love science and art, never believe in superstitions that are called religion. Religion has divided us through centuries and still divides us today, but some people are growing out of it and they are thinking for themselves.

Be a human and act as a humanist. Don't ask the skies to help you or punish your enemy Life is wonderful if you know how to live!

faisalalmuar

You might find the others here, (although I couldn't):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/oct/31/g2

What would you say?
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: The world's 'seven billionth baby', a girl called Nargis, has been born in #India,

Unread post

Find happiness in the smallest of things.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Re: The world's 'seven billionth baby', a girl called Nargis, has been born in #India,

Unread post

Funny how they can pick one child to represent the 7 billionth person on Earth. It was quite some time ago that October 31 was 'chosen' as the day for this, and I think there are many countries who have no idea how many citizens they have (Africa in particular has some countries that do not know their population to the nearest million). This makes me curious as to how accurate this 7 billion mark is. I guess it doesn't really matter, but was does matter greatly is that our world populations numbers are increasing way too fast.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

No they couldn't possibly know, really, who was the seven billionth baby. Babies must be being born simultaneously all over the globe.

I suppose it is just symbolic. I did enjoy reading the selection of letters though. There were some really good ones.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Code: Select all

World Population Growth Per Time Unit
Time unit	      Births		
Year	    131,571,719		
Month	    10,964,310		
Day	    360,470		
Hour	    15,020		
Minute	    250		
Seconds	    4.2		
Source: US Census Bureau, International Data Base.
(Figures may not add to totals due to rounding)
According to this chart, on a worldwide basis, last year there were 4.2 births per second, 250 births per minute. I doubt many countries (if any) record time of birth down to the second so assuming perfect record keeping to the minute, there is a one in 250 chance of being identified as the seven billionth baby … unless they make a special effort, at hospitals around the world, to record time of birth down to the second at the critical moment, like New Year's babies ... then your odds of being the chosen one could go up to 1 in 4 ... in any case, it’s not the 7 billionth baby, it’s the 7 billionth live human walking the earth so recorded time of death and its accuracy would make a difference too. As noted above, the whole thing is subject to rounding error (odd to think that your birth could fall into rounding error).

It does make some sense as a symbolic thing, given the need to raise awareness of population issues, but I wonder how the people who are ‘identified’ as the 6 billionth or 7 billionth etc. feel about it? Maybe they feel some sense of ‘responsibility’, especially once they really understand what they symbolize. It might something special or it might be a burden?
misshapenskies
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Dear seven billionth baby (even though I'm not sure you can be defined as such)

See with altered eyes, see the beauty - be intimate with the world and remember that joy can be found even in the murkiest of places of this funny old place we plod along on.

p.s. Don't forget your towel.
Definition for "defenestrate": throw through or out of the window; "The rebels stormed the palace and defenestrated the President".
^ That right there happens to be one of my favourite words. EVER.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

misshapen skies wrote:

p.s. Don't forget your towel.
Ah, a 'Hitch-hikers Guide' fan.....They're always the best.

I think I would add (as my advice to the baby). Remember that you're only here for the entertainment. Pretend you're in a film and write your own screenplay.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”