• In total there are 21 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Did Trump really do all this good stuff?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Did Trump really do all this good stuff?

Unread post

Hey Chris,
What do you think of the list you posted now that BookTalk has reviewed it?
'Droid
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Wasn't Trump impeached for withholding security aid to Ukraine?

Yeah. I will just err on the side of reason and say he was an absolute negative and did nothing right. Even if 'his policies', whatever they were, might have been good.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I’m just perusing the thread and I’m struck by Mr. P’s sub line about refusing to learn and thus becoming diseased.
This clearly relates to the brain and thinking.

Trump being impeached for the withholding is a true construct but yet FPSfB has repeatedly claimed that if for the stolen election of 2020 Putin would not have invaded Ukraine.

My question is? What is the group thought of the invasion?
Thaludere
Official Newbie!

Unread post

1. Food & Water - Trump has already started the process of privatizing and corporatizing our water sources. This is what is called “water privatization”. In the U.S., we have 1% of the world population but use 25% of its fresh water (source). We are among the highest consumers of clean drinking water and yet ironically, we rank 47th out of 50 countries in life expectancy. One country alone gets 20% of its water from fracking where as the average in America is only 4%. When natural gas drilling takes place, it releases methane into the air. Methane is 20 times worse than carbon dioxide for global warming (source). If you take coal out of the equation, we still use more energy than any other nation. Nuclear power is not safe, clean, nor reliable. Wind energy is not even close to being reliable, especially if the wind doesn't blow often enough. Solar power is expensive and can only work with sunshine. Hydroelectric dams can cause serious issues and are often built in dangerous places like the Grand Canyon. No matter how much renewable energy we produce, our demand will always exceed supply. Thus, we need to keep building hydroelectric dams in order to create more energy. However, they are destroying the
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

You really know how to get a rise from the populace, Chris!

When assessing Trump, a good place to start is the survey of professional historians that appeared last June. Trump was fourth from the bottom in that evaluation that rated presidents on 10 leadership qualities. I'm not aware of an updated poll since Trump's presidency ended, but can there be ANY DOUBT that he would now be DEAD LAST after attempting the most egregious act in presidential history--retaining power by subverting a free and fair election?

So in the wake of his disaster, I can see no sense in any of this "let's give him his due" stuff. The bar would have to be lying on the ground for any credit to be justified.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 795974002/
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

I despise Trump and the horse he rode in on. However, I rate two of his moves as real accomplishments: the peace deal between Israel and the UAE (which was mostly just midwifery, keeping the sides from offending each other - we may someday hear that Kushner also kept the Saudis or some others from kiboshing it); and the drive to develop a vaccine for covid. Neither one is particularly due to Trump, but a different president might have done worse on either one.
The tax cut was a disaster, although his donor base likes it. The best thing that can be said about it is that it probably pushed "deficit fighting" off the table in time to allow covid relief to get through Congress. The worst thing to say about it (in my narrow, economist's view) is that essentially all of the corporate tax cut was turned into a surge in stock buybacks by the corporations. Possibly a good thing for pension funds, but a massive transfer from future taxpayers to current taxpayers. As supply side measures go, the Build Back Better plan would add hundreds of times as much to American productive capacity at a fraction of the cost. And then there's the effect on inequality.
Drug prices down? Not really
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/07/trump ... ion-drugs/
The rest of the list is blather.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:19 am So in the wake of his disaster, I can see no sense in any of this "let's give him his due" stuff. The bar would have to be lying on the ground for any credit to be justified.
What continues to surprise me—even in my increasingly cynical state—is this sort of defense: this idea that criticism of Trump can be dismissed solely because it is political in nature. It’s basically an ad hominem, attempting to forego discourse altogether. This list—Did Trump Really Do All This Good Stuff?—is all smoke and mirrors, a rather transparent suggestion that Trump haters are blinded to all the good stuff he did. When in fact, if you take the time to actually dissect the list, you see it to be bereft of substance.

Likewise, Trump supporters will dismiss DWill’s survey of professional historians as being politically motivated. What else do they have in defense of a man who would literally piss on the Constitution to give himself a few more years in office?

I’m definitely a “never Trumper” but only in the sense that Trump has proven himself time and again to be a man with no scruples or moral character. Thanks to Harry for mentioning the few things that Trump can be given credit for (in a give-the-devil-his-due sort of way).
-Geo
Question everything
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

There's another side to this coin. The folks who believe all the items on that weird list of Trump accomplishments are not aware of and will never believe many of Biden's accomplishments.
The administration is also touting the fastest reduction in deficits in history in this fiscal year. That’s true, with two things primarily shrinking the red ink: Expiration of emergency pandemic relief and stimulus programs, and a growing economy resulting in a revenue surge.

Steven T. Dennis
3/28/22
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-u-s-debt
Employers added a record 6.6 million jobs during Joe Biden's first 12 months in office, by far the strongest record of any president's first year in office.

...By comparison, Donald Trump's first 12 months in office notched a gain of 2 million jobs.

Chris Isidore
2/4/22
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/04/business ... index.html
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

From my perspective, here across the "Pond" It is hard to see anything worthwhile that Trump did. Even though it would be hard for anyone to work for four years and get everything wrong. Trump is a complete narcissist, he did everything he could to promote himself. He went to North Korea for a photo opportunity, North Korea is still building nuclear weapons so nothing worthwhile came of it. I heard someone interviewed on the BBC who worked directly with him say that he wasn't interested in "America First", it was all really about Trump first.

As I sit here sweating in the longest, hottest summer for fifty years, in which we have seen the highest ever UK temperature, it is a bit hard to celebrate Trump's "victory" in making the US the biggest oil seller and producer. Someone should tell Trump that the expression "politically motivated science" is a contradiction in terms. Science is just the examination of evidence, and has nothing whatever to do with politics.

How is favouring one side of the Israeli/Palestinian dispute necessarily going to help solve it? And his "success" in reducing funding for supporting and finding the best solution for those who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy entirely depends on which side of the debate you are on. In my book, the UN, for all its flaws, was one of the best institutions to come out the 20th C. so congratulations to him for undermining it, and the WHO, more than they were before.

What did the writer of this biased nonsense say? Oh yes: "the list goes on".

Return to “Current Events & History”