• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

20th Anniv. of Wikipedia

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

20th Anniv. of Wikipedia

Unread post

I was just wondering on this 20th anniversary of Wikipedia, if anyone has experience volunteering for Wiki. Something like 270,000 of these editors are active per month. It's an amazing institution, isn't it? Also, it seems to be a good counterweight to the social media abuses Interbane wanted to talk about in "Revoke the 230." Nothing goes viral on Wiki.
I'm glad to make small money contributions to that space on the internet.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: 20th Anniv. of Wikipedia

Unread post

I also make small contributions to Wikipedia. It is an inspiration and a valuable resource.

I use it regularly, in part because the free resources on economics (especially FRED by the Federal Reserve of St. Louis, and the World Bank) can be pretty limited in what they offer. They evidently cater more to people wanting to get a current picture and maybe some medium-term background than to those who teach and want to present perspective and stories from decades back.

Using it without supporting it seems to me some kind of corner-cutting, like hopping a streetcar.

I participated once, to correct what I felt was a gross distortion. I have now forgotten what the distortion was, but I kept my password. I remember checking back and seeing that my change had been accepted.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: 20th Anniv. of Wikipedia

Unread post

I celebrate Wikipedia, but don't honor it. :x I'd like to make a correction to an historical mistake, but the formatting, etc. is too complicated. If you aren't a Wiki-Dork, it's not worth your time?

Return to “Current Events & History”