• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

I'm curious if you guys have a candidate you really stand behind or if you're like me and really struggling with this question.

To me the top issues are in this order...

1. Keep the US out of war. Any war these days can lead to a world war including the use of nukes.

Heck, that's what I care about more than anything else.

So despite my fascination with Trump and other Republicans I tend to think the Democrats are less war-hungry.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm a registered Independent.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

When it comes to the choices available, it's pretty clear

I agree with you on foreign policy, if you think Hillary is different from the Republicans, I'm afraid you are mistaken
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

So despite my fascination with Trump and other Republicans I tend to think the Democrats are less war-hungry.
It's not that Republicans are more "war-hungry"
Their philosophy of National defense and strength is different.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

If Biden would have made up his mind sooner, I would have seriously considered him, but now he is just too wishy-washy, too unsure. I feel you have to really "want" to be and "fight" to be President...he has lost me. In my opinion, Hillary is the most qualified. I heard a comment made by Sanders which I believe is probably true: no matter who gets elected, a president, BY HIMSELF, cannot/will not make a great deal of difference...HAHA! I expect this discussion to get real ugly real soon...:)!!!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Rand Paul has a refreshingly different view of U.S. foreign policy, but he remains a fringe candidate. The U.S. seems stuck on 1940-50s type military strategy that has failed time and again (Vietnam, Korea, Iraq). There's really a lot of dysfunction in the GOP that comes from the far right and I'm not sure when they can once again be a party that leads. I have to admit that Hilary looked solid in the Democrat debate, but I'm not too keen on her either. I usually don't like any of the candidates and that's proving to be the case again this election cycle.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Lets all just forget how democratic Hillary Clinton idiotically used a personal email account, lied about it, then destroyed an x amount of those emails to save face.

Yep - she's intelligent alright.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Great comments guys. There just isn't any candidate that gets me excited. I just am scared about a major war happening and Russia and China are acting aggressively these days. It can be argued that the US has been aggressive all along so these other nations are simply growing and demanding the respect they deserve.

But I keep mentally going over what a real world war could/would look like and it scares me. Life is precious and literally millions of people could die in a global nuclear war. Possibly tens of millions or more. We need someone with a level head that isn't naturally an egomaniac.
brother bob
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Trump, Cruz and Fiorino in that order. Time to restore our Constitution. Rid ourselves of Obumacare, over regulations, get the Keystone pipeline passed. You know common sense to restore our economy. Forget the TPP as American's are losing jobs due to Obuma - Toys r us, Disneyland, GE have forced American workers to train foreigners to take their job for less pay. Oreo's left America and went to Mexico. Boycott them cookies!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Obamacare is not saving my family anything. Our insurance has gone up significantly.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Great comments guys. There just isn't any candidate that gets me excited. I just am scared about a major war happening and Russia and China are acting aggressively these days. It can be argued that the US has been aggressive all along so these other nations are simply growing and demanding the respect they deserve.

But I keep mentally going over what a real world war could/would look like and it scares me. Life is precious and literally millions of people could die in a global nuclear war. Possibly tens of millions or more. We need someone with a level head that isn't naturally an egomaniac.
I expect Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders would be significantly less hawkish than any of the others.

Return to “Current Events & History”