Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
I'm curious if you guys have a candidate you really stand behind or if you're like me and really struggling with this question.

To me the top issues are in this order...

1. Keep the US out of war. Any war these days can lead to a world war including the use of nukes.

Heck, that's what I care about more than anything else.

So despite my fascination with Trump and other Republicans I tend to think the Democrats are less war-hungry.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm a registered Independent.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
ellisacoy, Robert Tulip
Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
When it comes to the choices available, it's pretty clear

I agree with you on foreign policy, if you think Hillary is different from the Republicans, I'm afraid you are mistaken

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:39 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?
Quote:
So despite my fascination with Trump and other Republicans I tend to think the Democrats are less war-hungry.

It's not that Republicans are more "war-hungry"
Their philosophy of National defense and strength is different.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

If Biden would have made up his mind sooner, I would have seriously considered him, but now he is just too wishy-washy, too unsure. I feel you have to really "want" to be and "fight" to be President...he has lost me. In my opinion, Hillary is the most qualified. I heard a comment made by Sanders which I believe is probably true: no matter who gets elected, a president, BY HIMSELF, cannot/will not make a great deal of difference...HAHA! I expect this discussion to get real ugly real soon...:)!!!

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:59 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Rand Paul has a refreshingly different view of U.S. foreign policy, but he remains a fringe candidate. The U.S. seems stuck on 1940-50s type military strategy that has failed time and again (Vietnam, Korea, Iraq). There's really a lot of dysfunction in the GOP that comes from the far right and I'm not sure when they can once again be a party that leads. I have to admit that Hilary looked solid in the Democrat debate, but I'm not too keen on her either. I usually don't like any of the candidates and that's proving to be the case again this election cycle.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Gold Contributor

Lets all just forget how democratic Hillary Clinton idiotically used a personal email account, lied about it, then destroyed an x amount of those emails to save face.

Yep - she's intelligent alright.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:47 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Great comments guys. There just isn't any candidate that gets me excited. I just am scared about a major war happening and Russia and China are acting aggressively these days. It can be argued that the US has been aggressive all along so these other nations are simply growing and demanding the respect they deserve.

But I keep mentally going over what a real world war could/would look like and it scares me. Life is precious and literally millions of people could die in a global nuclear war. Possibly tens of millions or more. We need someone with a level head that isn't naturally an egomaniac.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
geo
Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:56 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Trump, Cruz and Fiorino in that order. Time to restore our Constitution. Rid ourselves of Obumacare, over regulations, get the Keystone pipeline passed. You know common sense to restore our economy. Forget the TPP as American's are losing jobs due to Obuma - Toys r us, Disneyland, GE have forced American workers to train foreigners to take their job for less pay. Oreo's left America and went to Mexico. Boycott them cookies!

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Obamacare is not saving my family anything. Our insurance has gone up significantly.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 am
Profile Email WWW
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Great comments guys. There just isn't any candidate that gets me excited. I just am scared about a major war happening and Russia and China are acting aggressively these days. It can be argued that the US has been aggressive all along so these other nations are simply growing and demanding the respect they deserve.

But I keep mentally going over what a real world war could/would look like and it scares me. Life is precious and literally millions of people could die in a global nuclear war. Possibly tens of millions or more. We need someone with a level head that isn't naturally an egomaniac.

I expect Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders would be significantly less hawkish than any of the others.

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Chris OConnor
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:31 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

I take it LanDroid that you have not been in the military? It is kind of like this, Obuma has done nothing to protect our ally Ukraine and Israel. He has promoted Islam at every opportunity he gets over the interest of Israel, in the region, and America. He has downgraded the military to the size of pre-WWl in our naval power. We currently have the stupidity of having 5 nuclear carriers sitting in he same harbor, right next to one another.

Just like with the gun issue in America. If the room is full of people having guns only proves that no one would use one. Nobody wants to be killed by somebody else, and would not be the first to start such deadly action. However, when you say there is a gun free zone the bad guys fill the void. That is what China, Iran, Russia and ISIS are doing. They are just filling a void. All it takes for evil to prosper, is for good men to do nothing.

I was in the military and it is not full of war mongering young or middle class people. It is people trying to defend freedom. Maybe you would understand that if you served with Carter let our fellow Americans be held hostage by Iran for over 450 days. Reagan had them freed the day he was sworn in as President. Having a bigger stick that CAN or MIGHT be used is very powerful to stymie evil.

Please let me know where America had such AGRESSION in the world that was not for the safety of others? I will anxiously await your proof.

And by the way I worked for NSA in 79-85 and there was Weapons of mass Destruction in Iraq. They even just discovered them about 5 months ago. This idiotic administration came up with a lame explanation called a lie. They said they were not dangerous enough to kill people, but were too dangerous to move. Now think about that for awhile and see what conclusions you would draw. Also along those points when the first Bush attacked Iraq, history tells us that after the first wave that we destroyed many of their planes, guess where Iraq sent their planes? IRAN, SYRIA, JORDAN. Now we know that Syria's leader Assad has had a great amount of CHEMICAL weapons used against his people. A superfluous abundance he was holding. Where do you think he go ALL of that abundance of chemical weapons?? Evil in the world left unchecked is very dangerous.

Tks to democrats we were almost a German speaking nation. Nobody wanted to do anything in WWll other than begrudgingly send supplies to the Brits.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 pm
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Chris expressed a concern about the severity of future wars. I responded that two candidates were much less likely to have an aggressive military foreign policy than the other candidates. I doubt you disagree that Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders hold those positions.

I don't know what inspired your little rant, but I don't have the time, energy, or interest to address all of the errors. So I'll pick just one.
brother bob wrote:
Maybe you would understand that if you served with Carter let our fellow Americans be held hostage by Iran for over 450 days. Reagan had them freed the day he was sworn in as President. Having a bigger stick that CAN or MIGHT be used is very powerful to stymie evil.

You got it backwards. While President Carter was negotiating for the release of the hostages, the Reagan campaign reached out to Iran and negotiated a DELAY in the release of the hostages until Reagan became president.
Quote:
I was deposed in June 1981 as a result of a coup against me. After arriving in France, I told a BBC reporter that I had left Iran to expose the symbiotic relationship between Khomeinism and Reaganism. Ayatollah Khomeini and Ronald Reagan had organized a clandestine negotiation, later known as the “October Surprise,” which prevented the attempts by myself and then-US President Jimmy Carter to free the hostages before the 1980 US presidential election took place. The fact that they were not released tipped the results of the election in favor of Reagan.

Two of my advisors, Hussein Navab Safavi and Sadr-al-Hefazi, were executed by Khomeini’s regime because they had become aware of this secret relationship between Khomeini, his son Ahmad, the Islamic Republican Party, and the Reagan administration.

- Abolhassan Bani-Sadr
http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Glo ... 8page%29/2

Quote:
If the evidence from overseas points the finger squarely at the Reagan administration, evidence from the United States itself is even more damning. A July 7, 1987, article written for the political weekly In These Times by Jim Naureckas and Barbara Honegger, a worker in Reagan national campaign headquarters in 1980, described the "paranoid" fear of an "October Surprise" by the Carter campaign just before the election. "In late fall," the two authors wrote, "the surveys still found the election too close to call. Reagan's pre-election top pollster, Richard Wirthlin, predicted that a pre-election hostage release would boost Carter at least 5 or 6 percent in the polls, and as much as 10 percent—giving him a sure victory—if the release came before the campaign's final week...But in the campaign's closing weeks, the mood of high anxiety suddenly changed...'We don't have to worry about an October surprise' a jubilant staffer at the campaign's operations center (told Honegger). 'Dick's cut a deal.'"

"Dick" was Richard Allen, and the deal apparently was a promise of arms in return for a delay by Tehran in releasing the hostages. A few days after the conversation Honegger describes, another Reagan campaign official, future CIA director William Casey, was sufficiently confident to tell journalist Roland Perry on October 30 that if something happened to give Carter the election, "it won't be the hostages."

It is no secret that the Reagan campaign had set up an elaborate apparatus to head off such an "October surprise." It included a network of active and retired military personnel serving on or living near US Air Force bases who were prepared to alert the Reagan campaign to any unusual activity that might indicate a pre-election rescue effort. The network plan, concocted by retired Admiral Robert Garrick, was to abort the mission by leaking it to the press.
http://www.wrmea.org/1987-october/did-i ... ction.html

And indeed, President Reagan was so tough on Iran that his administration soon began illegally selling them military arms in a well known series of scandals.

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Chris OConnor
Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:08 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Leaving out foreign policy for the moment, I thought columnist Robert Samuelson had a good summary of the domestic priorities that all of the candidates are largely avoiding:

1. We are an aging population. Main imperative from this: "If we do not trim Social Security and Medicare spending--by slowly raising eligibility ages, cutting benefits and increasing premiums for wealthier recipients--we face savage cuts in other government programs, much higher taxes, bigger deficits or all three."
2. "Unless we curb immigration of the unskilled, we will never make much progress against poverty." This is because so many of current Hispanic immigrants live under the poverty line, and it will be a big job just to raise them toward the middle class, without continually adding more.
3. Weak U.S. economic growth is going to make it harder to do anything effective about 1 and 2 and many other problems.

I tend to think that a Republican candidate might have a better shot at addressing these, but not with the plausible candidates so in thrall to the party's whackier elements and having to beat their chests to compete with Trump.

Hillary Clinton, with several misgivings.

Last edited by DWill on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Chris OConnor, Crystalline
Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:36 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Quote:
2. "Unless we curb immigration of the unskilled, we will never make much progress against poverty." This is because so many of current Hispanic immigrants live under the poverty line, and it will be a big job just to raise them toward the middle class, without continually adding more.

This is not an issue since illegal immigration has stabilized for the last 5 years and legal immigration was at its greatest from '91-2000 between 10 and 11 million while the US population grew by 32 million. All these conservatives whining about immigration and it's a non-issue. All they are doing is pandering to their base's inherent xenophobia, racism and hatred of anything different from themselves.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:37 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

ant wrote:
Lets all just forget how democratic Hillary Clinton idiotically used a personal email account, lied about it, then destroyed an x amount of those emails to save face.

Yep - she's intelligent alright.

Edward Snowden hands over a laptop full of top secret surveillance data and he's a hero. Clinton is accused of sending classified materials on a personal email server which were apparently so sensitive that the House Select Committee on Benghazi is making them public as you read this (???).

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next