• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Anniversary of Trump's victory, Nov. 8 2016

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Anniversary of Trump's victory, Nov. 8 2016

Unread post

I suppose we might consider Nov. 9 to be the real date of Donald Trump's victory, since the Pennsylvania results didn't come in until after midnight. This has to be the most shocking electoral event in the lifetimes of everyone--even if you wanted him to win. This anniversary has occasioned a lot of commentary on whether the presidency has changed Trump and/or whether Trump has changed the presidency.

In his acceptance speech on Nov. 9, Trump gave some people hope that, now that the heavy slugging was over, he would pivot to assume a role as president of all of us. This ideal he expressed in the opening of his acceptance speech. Maybe he even believed that he was capable of such magnanimity. As we've seen dozens of times in the past year, he is not.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/ ... index.html
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Anniversary of Trump's victory, Nov. 8 2016

Unread post

Oh DWill, Although the election of Trump was a shock (but you know, it is wicked to mock the afflicted). He is only there for a term of office. Much worse was our referendum voting for Britain to leave the European Union. That is devastating for our Country. Our grandchildren will suffer. This is likely to become a third world country. I hope the Germans and French continue to make it difficult, in fact I hope they make it impossible. Whilst Trump entertains us with his 10 word vocabulary. Thank God you’ve got a Senate.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Anniversary of Trump's victory, Nov. 8 2016

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Oh DWill, Although the election of Trump was a shock (but you know, it is wicked to mock the afflicted). He is only there for a term of office. Much worse was our referendum voting for Britain to leave the European Union. That is devastating for our Country. Our grandchildren will suffer. This is likely to become a third world country. I hope the Germans and French continue to make it difficult, in fact I hope they make it impossible. Whilst Trump entertains us with his 10 word vocabulary. Thank God you’ve got a Senate.
It's so interesting to hear your Perspective, Penelope. I think that some over here are wishing we had a parliamentary system like yours! I'm not qualified to speak about Brexit, only it does seem to have arisen from the same magnified concerns about sovereignty and nationalism that helped elect Trump.

Return to “Current Events & History”