• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

One way to conduct a national election

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

One way to conduct a national election

Unread post

Pheu! It's finally here - after six grueling weeks - federal election day in Canada.

Anyone out there just a little envious? :bananadance:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: One way to conduct a national election

Unread post

I see Obama has endorsed Trudeau, I can understand the desire to put an election behind you so in that I am jealous :wink: . Question: I see it’s a close race between Trudeau and Scheer, are the smaller parties going to be good for liberals or conservatives? . Is Canada so evenly split politically that partisanship is paralyzing in the manor that we see happening in the UK with Brexit?.

Canada is not a bellwether for the U.S. but we do share the USMCA, I prefer a more progressive great white north, it may be needed to help keep in check the mess that is swirling around D.C. .
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Re: One way to conduct a national election

Unread post

Taylor wrote:I see Obama has endorsed Trudeau, I can understand the desire to put an election behind you so in that I am jealous . Question: I see it’s a close race between Trudeau and Scheer, are the smaller parties going to be good for liberals or conservatives? .
The liberals and Conservatives, based on polls, are in a virtual tie at around 31%. Historically, a party required with a minimum 38.5% to form a majority. The New Democrats are to the left of the Liberals and the Greens are to the left on many issues, although they seem to draw votes from both progressive and moderately conservative voters.

The Bloc is a federal party based only in Quebec. Their purpose is to push the Quebec agenda at the federal level with the ultimate aim of separation from the rest of Canada, although separation wasn't an issue in this election. They're expected to make big gains in this election.

I'm writing this one hour before the results begin pouring in, but the pundits are calling for a Liberal minority government. If that is the case, they would be looking for support from the New Democrats and any Greens that may be elected. I believe the Liberals would rather not be associated with the Quebec party bent on separation. If the Conservatives are in a minority position with the most votes, who knows?

Return to “Current Events & History”