• In total there are 31 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

Unread post

By the power vested in me through the States of Insolence, Indolence, Ignorance, Ignominy, Illiteracy, Incompetence, Ineptitude,
Inability, Inadequacy, Ineptness, and Inebriation; along with a ringing endorsement from no one of consequence, I declare the Official Countdown to the
Midterms... Open!
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: In Ten Days I'll Find Out What Country I Live In

Unread post

Anticipating, and welcoming, a Democratic takeover of the House, I fervently hope that the Democrats can resist overplaying their hand. It will be time for them to model for the country how our system of government should work. Use the power of oversight and investigation wisely and non-vindictively. Don't re-litigate Kavanaugh. Don't force Trump to release tax returns unless with a specific reason. Don't try to impeach Trump unless Mueller provides cause or Trump does something clearly impeachable in the future. Use some restraint.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

No clue what's going to happen. Red wave? Blue wave? Purple wave?Dunno.
What worries me is fistfights, and worse, breaking out at voting sites. People are not happy.

Tick-tock
Donald J. Trump
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

"This may be the most important election in the history of the universe"

:lol:
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

ant wrote:"This may be the most important election in the history of the universe"

:lol:
Oh, a comedy fan! Here's a joke for you.

How many Trumps does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

1 To call maintenance. 1 To tell maintenance to paint the lightbulb gold. 1 To make sure the maintenance worker isn't an illegal alien. 1 To declare bankruptcy so they don't have to pay maintenance. And 1 to blame Hillary and Obama for the failed bulb.
Donald J. Trump
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Polls are open in Jersey...

Bundle up, Republicans — winter is here.

Layers, dress in layers.
Donald J. Trump
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Good-bye, Leonard Lance (R) NJ 7th.

Hello, Tom Malinowski (D) NJ 7th.
Donald J. Trump
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

All gloating aside, I really think we all dodged a bullet with this one. Republicans are saved from the seeming inexorable pressure to give up integrity, since it is clear that major portions of the electorate are not willing to go tribal. (Although Missouri's and to some extent Tennessee's Senate race and the governor's races in Georgia and Florida limit that relief. As usual, the South is determined to be peculiar, in its own peculiar way. If anyone is not sure what I mean by peculiar, consider the history of the use of the word in America.) Investigations can be treated as inquiries into fact again, as fact now has a power base within the American government.

In case the message was not clear to Democrats, it is not enough to be against injustice (especially with evangelicals focusing on abortion as their version of the justice issue). Opposing injustice will generally be something you do out of the surplus in your life, not as a way to gain power, and that's probably as it should be. Since we believe power should be used for the common good, that sets an agenda. So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:All gloating aside, I really think we all dodged a bullet with this one. Republicans are saved from the seeming inexorable pressure to give up integrity, since it is clear that major portions of the electorate are not willing to go tribal.
Major portions of the electorate are no match for the blizzard of subpoenas about to bury Trump & Co. C'mon, they're politicians. Do you really think there won't be a battle of the subpoenas? All 3 branches of government are going to wipe out vast acreages of forested land for the paper. I have nowhere near the faith in them you have.
Harry Marks wrote:In case the message was not clear to Democrats, it is not enough to be against injustice (especially with evangelicals focusing on abortion as their version of the justice issue). Opposing injustice will generally be something you do out of the surplus in your life, not as a way to gain power, and that's probably as it should be. Since we believe power should be used for the common good, that sets an agenda. So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.
Hope you're right. But seems to me it's going to get really ugly in the Halls of Congress.
Donald J. Trump
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote: Major portions of the electorate are no match for the blizzard of subpoenas about to bury Trump & Co. C'mon, they're politicians. Do you really think there won't be a battle of the subpoenas? All 3 branches of government are going to wipe out vast acreages of forested land for the paper. I have nowhere near the faith in them you have.
I think if it weren't perceived as uselessly provocative, the Dems would impeach our Dear Leader. He has clearly earned it. I expect the possibility of emoluments violation will lead to demanding his tax returns, but I doubt if they can catch him at money laundering or quid pro quo using that. It will take Mueller, and some "knowledgeable informants" like the ones who helped the NY Times show all the cheating his Dad did on gift taxes.

There have been plenty of the regular types of subpoenas already for things like abuse of public funds by minions, and voter suppression. I expect that will grow also. Blizzard? Not so sure.
Litwitlou wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: So far the signalling is that the priorities will be clean government, hearings on the environment, and health care. That's an agenda that a politician can stand behind with self-respect, and I hope they go to the trouble to explain their thinking.
Hope you're right. But seems to me it's going to get really ugly in the Halls of Congress.
Uglier than the Devin Nunes show? Things are always ugly in the Halls of Congress since Newtie came to town. Dems have won on gay rights and won on health care. They can afford to concentrate on playing it straight. And they have a certain responsibility in that field, since the more global warming is seen as a partisan issue, the easier it is for the Koch Brothers to stall any action against it. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.

Return to “Current Events & History”