• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

WANTED: A discussion leader for "Your Inner Fish!"

#48: May - June 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

UPDATE: Saffron will be our discussion leader for "Your Inner Fish"

What does a discussion leader do?

Read the book a little faster than the rest of the group. You want to be able to ask questions, create new threads, and respond to comments and questions. If you haven't read the relevant chapter it can be difficult to do any of the above.

The chapter threads are already created. A discussion leader could post a question or two in each chapter thread to simulate discussion of that chapter. Polls can be created on favorite chapters, quotes or concepts. Biographical information about the author could be posted and shared with the other readers.

Do you agree or disagree with points the author is making? Have you found sites or interviews or blogs where someone has posted their own agreement or challenge of the author's perspective? These are ideas on what you could do as the discussion leader. But you might have your own ideas.

We will be having a live chat with Professor Neil Shubin to discuss this book. Don't worry. You won't be expected to be the host of the chat. You'll be just like everyone else. More than likely I'll take the helm in the live chat, but in the event you have read and enjoyed the book you are more than welcome to be as active as you like in the live author chat. Just don't feel that being the discussion leader is synonymous with being the live author chat host. They are not related.

So who would like to handle this? Being a discussion leader should be fun and rewarding. Don't allow yourself to get psyched out. Come on. Volunteer! You know you want to do it. 8)

If interested please reply to this post and volunteer right here. Please do not email me. I like to keep this type of stuff in the forums. Thank you.
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

:cry:
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Chris,
I am willing to take a crack at this. The one thing I do not know how to do it to create new threads. I will need a bit of instruction, otherwise I think I can do it.

Saffron
ralphinlaos

Unread post

Good for you, Saffron. You'll do a great job.

Ralph
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

It's about time Saffron!!! :ninjajig: :up: :clap2: :clap: :bow:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

UPDATE: Saffron will be our discussion leader for "Your Inner Fish"

I too think you'll do a great job as discussion leader. :smile:

When you say you don't know how to create new threads do you mean you don't know how to create new "chapter threads" or any sort of new thread? I'm going to go ahead and create 6 new chapter threads for the 6 chapters in "Our Inner Ape," so this is something you won't have to worry about.

But for your information and future reference creating new threads is really simple. When you are inside a forum you will see a "new topic" button up top on the left. Click this button. The rest is self-explanatory. But something tells me you were referring to creating chapter threads. All threads are created the exact same way, so chapter threads are simply threads with the chapter title in the subject line.

I'll add your name as discussion leader right now. :smile: Thank you for volunteering.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “Your Inner Fish - by Neil Shubin”