• In total there are 50 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Boston's Holocaust Memorial - simply too much for me to handle

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Boston's Holocaust Memorial - simply too much for me to handle

Unread post

Not too long ago my wife and I visited some of her family up in Boston. During our stay we happened upon the The New England Holocaust Memorial. The memorial consists of 6 glass towers inscribed with the serial numbers of the millions of Jews killed in the concentration camps during the Holocaust.

The thing is... we stumbled upon this. (Or did we?) I wasn't expecting it and definitely wasn't ready for it emotionally. We just suddenly were walking through the glass towers and there we were surrounded by quotes and names and serial numbers. It took my breath away and the tears just started. I had to move quickly out and away and just stand there in silence away from my wife and her family. Now that I think of it they probably planned the whole damn thing because we've discussed the Holocaust several times. I think I'll ask.

If you're ever in Boston and you have the ability to control your emotions better than me you really need to experience this memorial. As they say history repeats itself and to this day I still hear foolish people denying the Holocaust.
Attachments
L1070215.JPG
L1070215.JPG (318.71 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Holocaust-Memorial-tower.jpg
Holocaust-Memorial-tower.jpg (452.19 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
1280px-New_England_Holocaust_Memorial_4.JPG
1280px-New_England_Holocaust_Memorial_4.JPG (264.75 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Boston10.jpg
Boston10.jpg (187.21 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
boston-mass-new-england-holocaust-memorial-B7D6BA.jpg
boston-mass-new-england-holocaust-memorial-B7D6BA.jpg (240.92 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Jan_wow
Master Debater

Re: Boston's Holocaust Memorial - simply too much for me to handle

Unread post

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I visited the Holocost Memorial many years ago and I remember it being just as powerful for me as it was for you. The first emotion was a sense of awe at the sheer multitude - millions - men, women, and children - were killed. That emotion was followed up with a deep anger that the world allowed this to happen.
TEKennelly
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Thanks for sharing this, Chris, I did not even know it existed. We went to the Holocaust Museum in DC a few years ago...it is a lot to take in. Having read a bit about the subject I will say there is nothing about it that ever makes me feel comfortable or reconciled to the fact that the most culturally, intellectually and technologically advanced country in Europe perpetrated one of the greatest crimes in human history. It is deeply troubling.
Guenevere Lee
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

This is the first time I've heard about the memorial in Boston. It looks beautiful. I had a similar experience visit a memorial in Berlin. On a school trip we went to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, and it stunned my entire class into silence. I hope your family wasn't ambushing you with a visit to the Boston memorial, but it definitely is important to visit these places and learn about history. Thanks for sharing!
-G.Lee
@gueneverelee
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

This is just to say
to cry is quite okay.
The shaming that goes into toughening up boys is really a problem. If you aren't overcome by the sheer human catastrophe of a thing like the Holocaust (there are still smaller scale things like it going on, such as in Yemen these days) then you have been damaged.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”