Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Things You'd Love To Say At Work... But Can't 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Things You'd Love To Say At Work... But Can't
Things You'd Love To Say At Work... But Can't

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

How do I set a laser printer to stun?

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

I can see your point, but I still think you're full of it.

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.

You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

If I throw a stick, will you leave?

I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

Can I trade this job for what's behind door #1?

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted a paycheck.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Will you please, Mr. Elderley, Pedantic, Batchelor, go forth and nitpick somebody else, before I commit homocide (sic).

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:10 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Oy Vey - that post was a 'what I would like to say at work!' not directed at you people on the forum btw.

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am
Intern

I have long lobbied for an 'International Say What You Think With No Consequences Day'.

I have actually started smiling in the midst of being harangued, because of the comments running through my head.

Thanks for sharing!

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Gold Contributor

Glad to hear from you Jales4. I have been trying to deal with a 'vulnerable' bully at my work.

I would have been as bad as him if I had just said what was in my mind.

So I empathised.......but it was difficult....I have been grateful for this outlet.

Rafael Sabatini

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am
Intern

Hmm, I'm trying to imagine what tactics a 'vulnerable' bully would use.
I just get the plain bully. No special tricks. ;-)

I actually bought and read two books because of a bully at work. Games People Play and How to Deal with Difficult People.

They gave me a bit of insight, but weren't much help.

The best advice I got was from another co-worker when I finally voiced my dismay during a coffee break. (I abhor office politics so I rarely discuss work problems with co-workers).

Anyway, her advice was to just let the bully talk, and bully, and look like an ass. Then go and do or not do as I had planned. It worked. Once she realised she had no power over me, she moved on to someone else.
Either that, or she realised that without me sticking up for myself or arguing, she didn't look like a 'strong, thinking, make-things-happen woman', she just looked like a bully instead.

We have a stress relieving statement we make at work, when things start going downhill, "Strap on your helmet" (because you are going to start banging your head into the wall at any moment).

Just walking past someone and quietly muttering this phrase lets them know that we see what they are dealing with and commiserate. And it makes for a good laugh.

Jan.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Gold Contributor

Jan - It is such a nuisance when you 'care'.....

My 'vulnerable' bully.....is an elderly batchelor who doesn't know about 'personal space' and criticises everything I do.....and I am experienced.....fortunately I know I am competent and trust my boss. But if I had not got such confidence in my ability and my boss, he would have a destructive effect.

Anyway, boss says he will have a quiet word with the old fart! I have read 'Games People Play' depressing isn't it?

I do recommend - I'm OK, You're OK - have you read that?

There is another book which has had a postive effect on my life - called - Your Eroneous Zones....I can't remember the author. But it is very cheering. Keep in touch. 8)

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:29 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Post Re: Things You'd Love To Say At Work... But Can't
Three strikes and you are out! (To my boss, he is on strike two).

www.ithinkivegotit.com

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:56 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

Silver Contributor

I recently told someone this of a boss...
"She's not worthy of the title cunt; she's just an ignorant little twat."

The following user would like to thank spoonwood for this post:
President Camacho, youkrst
Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile Email YIM
Eligible to vote in book polls!

after watching Jeff Dunham, i've been wanting to use a line of his at work, but it would so get me fired

"welcome to Mobile, get your sh*t and get out"

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:23 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Experienced

"I'm sorry, I just don't feel like doing something-that's-not-part-of-my-job today. No wait, scratch that - I'm not sorry."

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

I would say "I'm sorry I couldn't get to that, but I'm one person not a staff of people".

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:25 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

I QUIT

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.