Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
How do I read and crochet at the same time? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Post How do I read and crochet at the same time?
:laugh: seriously I'm a big reader but I also love to crochet. And as of late crocheting has been taking up ALL of my free time! I feel so behind in my reading, But my blanket is coming along so beautifully! :laugh:
I think I need two sets of eyes

What other hobbies do you all have?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post Re: How do I read and crochet at the same time?
Stop playing with your crochet. It might me healthy to play with your crochet but it shouldn't take up your reading time. What kind of material are you reading that makes you want to play with your crochet all the time? I used to have the same problem. I would play with my crochet every day and sometimes even twice or three times a day. I played with my crochet too much so I can relate to what you're saying. All I can suggest is to choose some reading material that doesn't get you excited enough to want to play with your crochet yet still keeps you so interested that you don't want to play with it.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:30 am
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Pres.C - Inuendos are not the answer. :wink:

The good thing about crochet is that you only have one needle to worry about and only one stitch to drop. Knitting is only possible whilst watching TV. I can't read and knit. Some people manage.

To crochet and watch TV is easy. To crochet and read is more difficult and one would need to adapt ones crochet pattern to suit to book and not the other way around.

Do you crochet squares and then sew them all together to make a blanket? I used to teach crochet at evening classes. I just taught everyone to crochet a square because from a square you can make all kinds of things. I made different coloured squares into a cot blanket for my baby, then I unpicked them and made them into a sleeveless jacket for me and a little cute one when the baby became a toddler. Then I made more of the same squares and they became a spread for her little bed.........

If the book is gripping enough, one can't NOT read it. I have been known to read whilst ironing......

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 am
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

I've got the solution. It's as easy as getting someone else to play with your crochet. As long as they're doing it correctly you're assured to be delighted and in good humor while you read - only taking a break now and then to keep an eye on them and of course to enjoy when it's finished.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile Email YIM

Gold Contributor

Or, Pres.C., better still, get some one to read to you whilst you crochet!! Yeah!!

We had it backside foremost, now we know.

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:38 am
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

nah, it's more fun when someone else plays with your crochet... trust me on this.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:08 am
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

books on CD

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile Email
Sophomore

My grandmother did just that for years. Read her magazines while she crocheted. I once asked her why she didn't knit like other people. She said she had to look at knitting but she chould crochet by feel.

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:53 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

And, of course Gary, you only have one needle to think about and one stitch at a time with crochet.

When my elder son Jake was a little boy, I told him it was rude to watch TV when someone else was trying to have a conversation with him. He said, 'You Knit!'. And I thought he was calling me a 'nit' - so I sent him to sit on the naughty step, where he cried and complained that he was being victimised......Story of his life really!! :lol:

Rafael Sabatini

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Eligible to vote in book polls!

You could get a Kindle and switch it to audio....?

www.ithinkivegotit.com

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

LOL this is funny because I crochet so much as well. I would say get a Kindle and put the audio on and it will read the book like a book on tape. Or get the books on tape or have your computer read the books while you crochet. If you come up with a better plan, let me know, lol.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.