Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of murdered? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post How important does a person have to be before they are consi
How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:42 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

no regular celebrity qualifies for assassination.

You have to be an elected official, or otherwise involved in the government before i will knowledge the word assassination. If there is a celebrity that is caught up in some political turmoil and has the ability to effect policy, then i might consider them assassinated.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

Post Re: How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of murdered?
Assassination is the killing of someone because of they hold a public office or because of something they did in that public office.

If someone kills a president simply because he is president at that time that is an assassination.

If someone kills a president because that particular president did something while in office that is an assassination.

If the president's spouse kills the president for personal reasons that is murder.

The following user would like to thank ChrisRippel for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Post Re: How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of murdered?
Interesting question. John Lennon is often refered to as been assassinated, but his killer simply wanted to be famous. So his motivation didn't have anything to do with John Lennon's political and social activism. We refer Ronald Regan being shot as an assassination attempt, but the shooter did it to impress Jodie Foster whom he was stalking.

The following user would like to thank Trish for this post:
ChrisRippel
Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I think ChrisRippel hits the nail on the head.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

Trish wrote:
Interesting question. John Lennon is often refered to as been assassinated, but his killer simply wanted to be famous. So his motivation didn't have anything to do with John Lennon's political and social activism. We refer Ronald Regan being shot as an assassination attempt, but the shooter did it to impress Jodie Foster whom he was stalking.

Trish,

Your examples are interesting and force me to think about clarifying my answers.

When I used the phrase "personal reasons" as the distinctive feature of murder I meant private conflict between the murder and the murderee, not just that the murder had personal reasons such as wanting to impress someone else.

John Lennon and Ronald Reagan were targets of assassins as public figures, because they were public figures, not as private citizens.

Thanks,

Chris

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Nut

Bronze Contributor

I always thought of assassination as more political than anything else.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 pm
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

The Ritzy wrote:

Hmmmm, but high officials of the (Catholic) Church--or other high religious leaders from other religions--(including the Pope) have been assasinated. Could the definition be expanded to include eliminating a person of power?
BTW, the word is of Arabic origin meaning "hashish-eater" and referring to some of the first terrorists, fanatical Muslims around the time of the first Crusades, who were said to have eaten hashish before murdering people.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:18 pm
Master Debater

oblivion wrote:
The Ritzy wrote:

Hmmmm, but high officials of the (Catholic) Church--or other high religious leaders from other religions--(including the Pope) have been assasinated. Could the definition be expanded to include eliminating a person of power?

According to Webster's New Unabridged Dictionary, assassinate means, "1. to kill suddenly or secretively, esp. a politically prominant person, murder premediatedly and treacherously. 2. to destroy or harm treacherously and viciously."

I don't know whether this helps, but there you go.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

I wonder then is a victim of a "hate crime" then assassinated because the murderer killed them for what that victim represented. For example, Matthew Shepard was targeted, lured, beaten and left to die because a few good ol' boys wanted to target one gay man to terrorize other gay men, but he wasn't famous or a public figure.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:47 am
Book Nut

Bronze Contributor

oblivion wrote:
The Ritzy wrote:

Ah, yes, that would make sense to have the definition be that. (Though, I think religious leaders have a tendency to be political powers as well, whether they mean to be or not.)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.